• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning/Conserving War Zinc Coins?

2 posts in this topic

I apologize ahead of time if this issue has been previously addressed....the US was not the only country to use zinc during war years for coins..I was wondering if you have had much success with regaining some of the lost luster of zinc coins...maybe you've done a few lincoln 1943's?....it just seems that the metal is not dense enough and its porous nature may cause irrepairable surface discoloration...thanks, JAX

PS: the coin I want livened up is the 1943 NEDERLAND 25c piece

We have had some success in conserving zinc coins. Some coins at first appearing corroded have been conserved and have graded with NGC. Others have been conserved and will appear better and be more stable for long-term storage, but still have corrosion and have not graded with NGC. Though I would have to see your coin in order to say for certain what may or may not be done to help it, we have had success in conserving zinc coins in the past.

Chris, NCS