• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SMS SETS OH MY GOD

55 posts in this topic

First off Harvey take a DEEP breath because these 12 days will seem like 12 months as you await the results. :cry: If you are a paid member go to your home page go up to the grading and submissions menu and drop down to order status. Then you just check every hour for the next three weeks and sooner naaaahhhh later much later your coins will have grades. :pullhair: This after sitting in received, schedule for grading and qualitycontrol. So sit back, relax, pour yourself a drink, and smoke'em if you got'em lol. Good luck

I haven't checked the "turnaround" times that are updated all the time but I did get a "Modern" tier submission back this month in less than 12 days.

Rons is correct about the way to check your order. It will show as "Delivered" then "Scheduled for Grading". then "Quality Control " and lastly Finalized and shipped assuming you are a paod member.

I ship Priority because it is a flat rate and because I am guranteed delivery in two to three Business Days. I always use the big cardboard envelope .I usually ship 6 coins and split them up in sets of two so they don't bulge the envelope.

If you were going to ship more than they have the Priority Boxes.

Thanks Mike I'm going crazy waiting they are still in recieving 8 day's now so hopefully they get graded soon.

:) - Get in Line buddy

Invoice No. Invoice Date No. of Coins Total Value Status

2523892 2/19/2008 38 1715.00 Received

2523894 2/19/2008 1 100.00 Quality Control

2523895 2/19/2008 5 50.00 Received

2523928 2/19/2008 1 100.00 Scheduled for Grading

2523929 2/19/2008 7 660.00 Received

2523930 2/19/2008 1 50.00 Received

2523932 2/19/2008 5 160.00 Received

All these will be MULTI Holders :)

I called NGC today. I sent in a submission form and it arrived there Wednesday . I always send with Delivery Confirmation and it has always appeared the same day on the "Order Status". Today is Firday and it hadn't appeared yet so I called and was told that they were overwhelmed with packages and hadn't got around to opening them yet.

Checked tonight and it showed "received" on the Order Status. Economy went from 28 days to 32 days so it seems they have a lot of submissions.

Well just got a call from NGC the 1967 half got bagged but the other's 67's I sent in graded. So kind of disappointed but not to bummed out.

Not sure. Got the message on the answering machine. All it said was the half was BB'd and that they wanted to know if I wanted them in single holders because of this. I called back left a message and said yes please.

OUch

Coins for invoice number 2524103

001 1967 SMS 50C MS ARTIFICIAL TONING

002 1967 SMS 25C MS 65

003 1967 SMS 10C MS 67

004 1967 SMS 5C MS 66

005 1967 SMS 1C MS 64 RB

My name doesn't go on a list for AT'd coins does it? That would really suck.

Yeah the C-PAT club of America ( Cleaned Polished and Artificially Toned )

haha

Apparently they are giving anything out better than a 66. I sent in a Kennedy SMS lat month and got a MS66. It was out of a Dansco Album. I sent in two more and they were out of a OGP and I thought better than the one in the Dansco and they both got a MS65 SMS.

I also sent in a 1970 D Kennedy that was in OGP that had never been touched until I opened it and submitted it and it came back MS65.

I dont know.Guess it has to be a personal decision. I just can't understand how the same type of coin that has been in a Dansco Album for several decades can grade better than one that comes out of OGP just before Submission and untl then has never been touched by human hands and this is several times.

Could it be because this CAC nonsense has caused the grading to go to extremes? Don't want to get in that discussion again but it seems to be the onlt Logical one. This would mean that if you purcahsed a 1965 SMS in 1965 and encapsulated it when Grading services appeared in the 80s and got a fair grade of say 67 or 68 but then took one out of OGP in 2008 and sent it in then and the standards were too strict the other way that you would get a 65 for the same coin then you are just out of luck. How else did these people with a 67 or 68 in the Registrys get these grades?

I dont know.Guess it has to be a personal decision. I just can't understand how the same type of coin that has been in a Dansco Album for several decades can grade better than one that comes out of OGP just before Submission and untl then has never been touched by human hands and this is several times.

Could it be because this CAC nonsense has caused the grading to go to extremes? Don't want to get in that discussion again but it seems to be the onlt Logical one. This would mean that if you purcahsed a 1965 SMS in 1965 and encapsulated it when Grading services appeared in the 80s and got a fair grade of say 67 or 68 but then took one out of OGP in 2008 and sent it in then and the standards were too strict the other way that you would get a 65 for the same coin then you are just out of luck. How else did these people with a 67 or 68 in the Registrys get these grades?

The answer to the part in bold is fairly simple in that not all coins are equal when they are released after the minting process. Some coins have nicks, hits, marks, hairlines or whatever on them and they come directly from OGP while others are fairly pristine and might come from a bank roll.

CAC has nothing to do with this.

A coin is what it is from the day it comes from the mint.

It's not important if it came from a roll or an album.

It may have came from the mint as MS-60 or MS-70.

Knowing what it grades is what's important.

Appreciate the grade report . Sorry they weren't higher , but those are decent grades for MS .

What the others said about the grading is an sort of an absolute .

A coin drops in to the grading tray of a grader and he/she has no idea who it belongs to or where it has been or where it came from . The grader is going to grade based upon the coin in hand's merits . The next grader will grade without knowing the first grader's points and then the finalizer will check it all out and the grade will be put in the books...or something like that is the general scenario .

As far as when and how they 'tighten' or 'loosen' the scoring for grading of each series is anyone's guess , but in my case , They have been pretty much the same on my modern subs , so I haven't seen much change there , maybe in other series , but I have not sent anything else in for a while so do not know personnaly.

When you get them back in hand , loop over them and see if you can find small contact marks and hairline scratches or marks on the features and then in the fields ,without the loop or with a large low-power one check the over-all strike quality and make notes on each coin that you are questioning .

Call NGC and ask if they have any grader notes on the coin in question and see if you found what they saw.....if they are able to tell you something you did not find...it will be a free lesson on what to detect .

Don't expect too much info and they usually have time to go over one or two with you and do not always have notes on every coin , so don't expect to go over all of them. If they spent all day answering everyone on every coin they would not have any time left to be grading .

I guess I'll hang on to my three sets that are toned liked those you sent in and just admire them in the mint cases .

Thanks for sharing , John