• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My newest: 1795 Half dollar

34 posts in this topic

I gave $1700 for this coin. This, as with all problem free, slabbed PCGS (or even less so with NGC) early type coins, can not be touched anywhere near what the price guides that I've seen advertise. I guess that they are assuming raw, problem coins.

Well, here's a look that I even think that TomB would approve of.

1795 HALF DOLLAR

Mintage:

Circulation strikes: 299,680

Proofs: none

Designer: Robert Scot

Diameter: ±32.5 millimeters

Metal content:

Silver - 89.2%

Copper - 10.8%

Weight: ±208 grains (±13.5 grams)

Edge: Lettered - FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR (various ornaments between words)

Mintmark: None (all dates of this type were struck at Philadelphia)

53069-1795half-dollar.jpg.a2e62fe088a01024afc910379e7cbee7.jpg

The grade is rock-solid for the coin. I'd consider the surface quality to be rather average, but the overall look is pleasing.

I'm shocked at what these cost today. Just about six years ago or so, I could buy a comparable coin for $400.

I'm shocked at what these cost today. Just about six years ago or so, I could buy a comparable coin for $400.

Do you think that this is a cycle, and prices will come back down, or are they here to stay?

BTW - Nice coin,Victor! :applause:

Nice old coin there Victor. The market value for these seem high. I'll bet most coins falling below the 1800's would be high anyway. Congrats on that one!!

nice victor, I've been in the market for a 1795 half for a while...not in a hurry so I've been waiting for a special coin at a great price...yours looks closer to a G6...nice...

nice victor, I've been in the market for a 1795 half for a while...not in a hurry so I've been waiting for a special coin at a great price...yours looks closer to a G6...nice...

Oops...good call. It is a G-6.

I have to agree with Pat on this. The prices on this issue have moved so far up over the last few years that the coin is becoming a major investment to most collectors. I sold a PCGS VG10 about two years ago for less than this piece brought and I would bet that in two years this price will seem like a bargain.

Nice coin there.Where did you find it

Kaminski Coin Company

731 Race Street

Wis. Dells WI 53965

New Purchases from Long Beach

1807 1C COMET MS64BN PCGS. What a coin! I purchased this coin in January of last year and have just now decided to put it up for sale. Tied for the finest known by EAC experts, this coin has is all. Luster, PQ fields, full strike and incredible eye appeal. I have never seen a piece of Early American Copper look like this coin. $60,000

1857 1C MS64 PCGS. Totally original PQ+ surfaces with great eye appeal. So many of these early flying eagles have been doctored or messed with that it is a pleasure to see a totally original piece. $1500

1881 1C PR66RB NGC. Fantastic eye appeal with deeply mirrored surfaces and purplish/blue facial toning on the portrait and the center of the reverse. Spectacular coin! $1300

1884 1C PR64RB PCGS. Spectacular color and eye appeal. This coin has Deep mirrors on both obverse and reverse with Full Red obverse peripheries slowly turning to purple/red’s, to the most beautiful bluish/green portrait colors. The reverse is full Red. $995

1884 1C PR66RB NGC. A spectacular coin with gorgeous obverse and reverse toning and Deep mirrors over red’s, light blue/green’s and reddish/purples cover the entire obverse and reverse. Fantastic coin! $1345

1892 1C PR65RB PCGS. A wonderful eye appealing coin with deep mirrors and a light cameo effect on the both the obverse and reverse! I do not know why this coin did not grade full red, it is definitely all there. $770

1909-S 1C MS64RB PCGS. A stunning piece of original copper with absolutely no problems! Wonderful red/brown eye appeal with much more red than brown. Boldly struck! A truly great rare Indian Head penny with fantastic appeal! $1980

1872 2c MS63RB PCGS. “RARE DATE” A simply gorgeous original two cent piece. The obverse is the double die variety with doubling on the left side of the end of the motto scroll. PQ fields and devices with wonderful eye appeal. $3995

1873 2c PR65RB PCGS. Closed 3 variety. Totally AWESOME!!! What a coin! Deep mirrors with a light cameo effect. Vibrant Rainbow toning that mesmerizes the viewer with blue’s, purple’s and reds. Housed in a 2nd generation PCGS holder. $5700

1870 3CN PR65CAM PCGS. One of the rarest dates in PR65, only to be trumped by the 1865 and 1877. This piece is stunning with deep mirrors and a black and white cameo contrast. PQ+ surfaces and eye appeal. No toning. $3595

1795 H10C MS63 PCGS. V.2a LM-3 R.5 A very scarce variety and extremely difficult to find in uncirculated grades. A totally original piece with no problems. This variety is characterized by a die crack running through the R in LIBERTY extending through the hair below. The reverse is rotated about 45 degrees and has beautiful original rainbow toning. $26,500

1835 H10C MS64 PCGS. V.7 R.1 Totally original with heavy underlying luster and PQ+ fields. Amazing eye appeal with red russet blue obverse and reverse tone! $1620

1883 5C MS66 PCGS. No Cent variety. This coin looks like it could have been struck yesterday. Totally white with heavy frost and eye appealing surfaces. $870

1807 10C MS64 PCGS. Sensational original coin with impeccable fields and PQ quality. The 1807 series was notoriously softly struck, this coin is quite well struck for the series. Dusty rose gray blending into peripheral blue reds. The reverse has the same blending and is fabulous. $21,000

1814 10C MS65 PCGS. Lg. Date Totally original surfaces with a dusty medium gray appearance. The surfaces are very clean for a MS64, a beautiful coin! $4375

1892 10C MS64 PCGS. Beautiful type coin for the investor collector! PQ frosty fields with rainbow iridescence! The reverse is evenly more intensely rainbow toned than the obverse. $395

1875-S 20C MS64 PCGS. Awesome originally toned twenty cent piece with PQ surfaces and spectacular eye appeal. $2100

1807 25C MS64 PCGS. Awesome coin with lustrous dusty silver surfaces on both the obverse and reverse. The last time this coin was in an auction was over 2 years ago and it sold for over $40,000. Since that time the market has exploded and the search for quality original rare coins has become one of the most difficult tasks for any dealer. $52,500

1828 25C XF45 PCGS. Dusty original with lots of underlying luster! PQ surfaces with fantastic eye appeal. $2160

1831 25C AU58 NGC. B.6 R.4 A truly fresh original coin with great eye appeal! This coin still has underlying luster, light gold overlays and refreshingly clean surfaces. This coin is tied for the finest known of this variety. $2375

1884 25C PR64CAM PCGS. Deep mirrors and a very nice black and white cameo effect! Vibrant blue, red, purple and orange with a mostly blast white portrait! Quite an impressive coin! $3310

1909-D 25C MS66+ PCGS. Better date quarter with heavy underlying luster and dusty original coloration. A simply beautiful eye appealing coin! $3900

1912 25C MS66+ PCGS. Awesome!!! This coin needs to be seen to be believed. Heavy underlying luster with rainbow overlays and dusty original surfaces! A simply beautiful coin! $2525

1795 50C G06 PCGS. O-113 R.3 This coin is an original eye appealing coin that looks solid VG. A over E variety! Housed in a 2nd generation holder. Great coin! $1775

1806 50C XF40 PCGS. Knob 6, Lg. Stars. RARE combination! No Overton number for this variety. It meets the specs of the O-107 R.5 only with large stars. Dusty silver surfaces with some remaining luster. A wonderful original look! $3060

1807 50C MS63 PCGS. Draped Bust Variety, this coin has the look, eye appeal, PQ fields and totally original surfaces. A wonderful blue purple and dark green tone encompasses dusty silver surfaces. A true find! $24,500

1818 50C AU50 PCGS. O-109a This is a stunning coin with lots of eye appeal and the “WOW” factor. The obverse is toned in attractive blues and rose tone. The reverse is lustrous with a light overlay of gold. $995

1825 50C MS64 PCGS. This is an awesome coin to behold. Deeply mirrored proof like surfaces underneath Blue/Purple/Red tone on the obverse with the most spectacular colored reverse make this coin breathtaking. $5995

1831 50C AU53 NGC. O-109 R.1 A very pleasing problem free coin with lots of frost, white centers and peripheral orange/blue tone. $525

1832 50C MS62 PCGS. O-106 R.1 A very attractive lustrous piece. Dusty silver gold surfaces with lots of eye appeal. $1925

1837 50C MS63 PCGS. Reeded Edge Half. A spectacular coin with a full original luster toned a light eye appealing gold. The strike is full with incredible detail and surfaces. PQ+ with wonderful eye POP. $3120

1843 50C MS63 PCGS. A wonderful no motto Seated Liberty half. Darkly toned in blues, purple’s and reds. A PL look to both the obverse and reverse. Exceptional Choice Uncirculated coin. $1945

1879 50C PR63CAM PCGS. Deep mirrors and a wonderful black and white cameo effect with light rainbow peripheries on both the obverse and reverse. $1800

1800 $1 AU58 PCGS. BB-19 B-192 R.2 Coins like this show up once in a lifetime. Normally some cleaning has taken place on these early Bust Dollars. This coin is 100% original with striking surfaces and exquisite fields and appeal. This is the AMERICAI Variety. Retail Mags show this coin at $22000 in unc, but try to find one that looks like this coin. $23,400

1864 $1 MS64 PCGS. RARE COIN!!! POP. 4/7 What a stunning coin! This coin has radiant vibrant rainbow toning on the obverse in light blue, purple/red and gold with a lustrous white portrait. The reverse has peripheral tone in rainbow coloration and frosty fields and devices in the center. The last PCGS coin to trade hands sold for $15K in 2003. This is a buy at $19,800

1923 $1 MS65 PCGS. MS65 Peace Dollars are becoming more scarcer. A very inexpensive coin with much potential. In Long Beach, I searched the floor to come up with some stock coins, these grades are disappearing, especially with any quality. This coin has PQ surfaces and wonderful frosty original eye appeal. $215

1924 $1 MS65 PCGS. MS65 Peace Dollars are becoming more and more scarce. A very inexpensive coin with much potential. This coin has PQ surfaces and has heavy frosty original eye appeal. $180

1925 $1 MS65 PCGS. MS65 Peace Dollars are becoming more and more scarce. A very inexpensive coin with much potential. This coin has PQ surfaces and has heavy frosty original eye appeal. $220

1925-S $1 MS64 PCGS. Dusty silver in appearance, this coin is tough to find nice. Totally original someone will probably try to dip this coin to give it more pop. It is fantastic the way that it is. $995

1934-D $1 MS64 PCGS. An exceptional piece with wonderful eye appeal and fully lustrous surfaces. PQ+ and High end for the grade. $830

1935-S $1 MS64 PCGS. An exceptional piece with wonderful eye appeal and fully lustrous surfaces. PQ+ and High end for the grade. $695

Please let me know if you are interested in any of the new purchases.

Thanks, Joe

Kaminski Coin Company

731 Race Street

Wis. Dells WI 53965

213 years old and just smooth circulation wear. These old original coins always make me think of how many people touched them, used them, until someone decided to put it away, probably sometime in the mid to late 1800s. The coin is great. Nice pick up.

Oops...good call. It is a G-6.

Whoa! That's why it looked so "rock solid" at G-4, as I mentioned earlier! Even at G-6, I like the grade very much.

I am SO glad I bought mine a few years ago, before the huge run-up.

Nice coin Victor!

It is refreshing to see one of these Flowing Hair half dollars that has not been cleaned to a pasty white surface. So many of them have been for reasons to are beyond me. An old coin should looke old, not bright and shiney.

Nice coin Victor!

It is refreshing to see one of these Flowing Hair half dollars that has not been cleaned to a pasty white surface. So many of them have been for reasons to are beyond me. An old coin should looke old, not bright and shiney.

Thanks, Bill and James, et al. (thumbs u

One think that I like about the coin is the full rims all around. There are not parts worn into nothingness like is found on lots of the lower graded coins.

I had purchased a VG10 from Wayne Herndon in early Oct. 2007 from ebay for just a little under $2K. But, it was lost in the mail. Can you believe it? He didn't send it registered mail, though, and had private insurance. I wonder where that coin is now? Wayne never recovered it.

I had purchased a VG10 from Wayne Herndon in early Oct. 2007 from ebay for just a little under $2K. But, it was lost in the mail. Can you believe it? He didn't send it registered mail, though, and had private insurance. I wonder where that coin is now? Wayne never recovered it.

:o

Sweet score big E! :headbang:

Another really fine addition to your type set, which just gets better and better. (thumbs u

Thanks, Pablo! I appreciate that. (thumbs u

Still....if I could just cherry pick your set... hm

:devil:

Nice coin Victor!

(thumbs u

The prices on this issue have moved so far up over the last few years that the coin is becoming a major investment to most collectors. I sold a PCGS VG10 about two years ago for less than this piece brought and I would bet that in two years this price will seem like a bargain.

and I would bet that in two years this price will seem like a bargain.

(worship) (thumbs u