• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington quarter exhibit

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I just talked to Ron for the ancient coins program. Conder101 is going to have my article published that I made and I can go to a coin show and work there for my second step.

my third step is what I need help with. I need to do an exhibit and display it at a bank or library. I talked to ron and it has to have a set theme.

I really need help with this. Do I need to put it in a display case? Do I need to build one?

I plan to do the exhibit about the washington quarter. It's history and how it went from silver to clad, and why. Then also mention the state quarters.

I think I can find all this information on the internet. I need to take a picture of it when I display it. Maybe also I could print out some pictures of who designed the washington quarter.

But it's causing me to worry so much, I feel that I can't do it. It seems like a huge mountain that i can't climb up. I think I need some support.

Take a deep Breathe Stinky and relax I'm sure you'll get some suggestions here.

Thanks harvey. Hopefully I can get some advice on this. I think if I search for the history of the washington quarter I can find it, then just use whatever informatoin I've found for the report. Since this is an exhibit and not an article, I do not think I need to re word any of the information in my own words. (Unless you think I should? Not sure) Perhaps I could just find the information, and print it out for the exhibit.

I'm not sure if I can do that but that would save me alot of time.

Your thoughts?

Another suggestion, think hard about what message you are trying to get across to someone who is looking at your exhibit, and focus on delivering that message.

For instance, if you are focused on the change in metal content that occured when clad coins were introduced, stay on that topic, and don't waver into, for instance, the history of the design -- unless it somehow flows from your original thought (and it doesn't for me).

However, if you are trying to tell the entire history of the coin, then I could see why discusing the designer would fit.

Another suggestion, think hard about what message you are trying to get across to someone who is looking at your exhibit, and focus on delivering that message.

For instance, if you are focused on the change in metal content that occured when clad coins were introduced, stay on that topic, and don't waver into, for instance, the history of the design -- unless it somehow flows from your original thought (and it doesn't for me).

However, if you are trying to tell the entire history of the coin, then I could see why discusing the designer would fit.

Stinky this is great advice

I would recommend writing things in your own words. Quotes are good to supplement your comments and such, but the bulk of things should be yours. I've never made a display, so I can't really give you specific advice, but just relax. Take your time, study some, and you will make a great display. I'm sure of it.

Stinky,

Think back to your high school English class. Writing a theme! First decide the major points of your presentation, whether 3, 5 , 10 or whatever. Use these points as your areas to discuss. Place the subjects in an order representing where you wish to start from to where you need to end up. Then just discuss each major point with photos, graphs, or whatever you need to make it interesting. Certainly a display is a needful thing. Written in a notebook will not suffice. This needs to be large enough in print and photo size that several peole standing a few feet away could read it without leaning up to get in each other's way. This is not hard, just requires planning. Great luck, we're all pulling for you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

(thumbs u

When you wrote about the history of the coin, the use of a timeline jumped into my head. Maybe the history of the US surrounding the coin. Depression, cold war, America’s bicentennial (drummer boy), etc. Like following history along with the coin. Just some suggestions.

BTW Lucite planks are cheep at home depot…some will even cut to order.

Good luck dude

I agree with this advice but I will tell you, from experience giving presentations, that peoples attention spans are quite short. I would keep it to three main points. These are the main elements I would focus on:

1. a clear, clean, uncluttered looking display. Three sides of a large cardboard box works well as a backbone for the display (also makes it easy to stick with only three concepts/main topics). It stands on its own, and you can glue that large colored bullentin board paper to it easily. Also invest a few dollars in 3M brand Super 77 or similar spray glue (available at Home Depot) to make mounting pictures etc easy.

2. Make sure you have a title for the display clearly on top.

3. Make sure your formal presentation is no longer than 5 or 10 minutes. But have notes and knowledge available to be able to answer questions.

4. Always ask for questions as it gets you off the hook in needing to spend too much time making a formal presentation. Also if you do not over provide information in the presentation, people are more likely to ask questions about topics they heard you speak about. It is all about making yourself seem confident in the information you know. There is nothing wrong, when presenting a main concept, to say that you are just going to touch on this topic as the information is extensive and you would be happy to take questions after the formal presentation. This sets you up for success in planting the topic you know and want to speak about later. It is up to you to guide the discussion, it is your presentation.

5. the most important thing to remember in making an effective presentation is that you must Tell your audience what you are going to Tell them (introduction of the three main points, could be as simply as one or two sentences), Tell them (body- describe in more detail the three main points), and then Tell them what you told them (conclusion-summarize the three main points). Make your Display title the projects Theme with the three points pieces of what you are trying to say.

Good luck and do not hesitate to ask for help.

I agree with this advice but I will tell you, from experience giving presentations, that peoples attention spans are quite short. I would keep it to three main points. These are the main elements I would focus on:

1. a clear, clean, uncluttered looking display. Three sides of a large cardboard box works well as a backbone for the display (also makes it easy to stick with only three concepts/main topics). It stands on its own, and you can glue that large colored bullentin board paper to it easily. Also invest a few dollars in 3M brand Super 77 or similar spray glue (available at Home Depot) to make mounting pictures etc easy.

2. Make sure you have a title for the display clearly on top.

3. Make sure your formal presentation is no longer than 5 or 10 minutes. But have notes and knowledge available to be able to answer questions.

4. Always ask for questions as it gets you off the hook in needing to spend too much time making a formal presentation. Also if you do not over provide information in the presentation, people are more likely to ask questions about topics they heard you speak about. It is all about making yourself seem confident in the information you know. There is nothing wrong, when presenting a main concept, to say that you are just going to touch on this topic as the information is extensive and you would be happy to take questions after the formal presentation. This sets you up for success in planting the topic you know and want to speak about later. It is up to you to guide the discussion, it is your presentation.

5. the most important thing to remember in making an effective presentation is that you must Tell your audience what you are going to Tell them (introduction of the three main points, could be as simply as one or two sentences), Tell them (body- describe in more detail the three main points), and then Tell them what you told them (conclusion-summarize the three main points). Make your Display title the projects Theme with the three points pieces of what you are trying to say.

Good luck and do not hesitate to ask for help.

Hoard, thank you. Great advice. I was thinking too of using cardboard as a display, maybe doing a timeline. On the washington quarter subject, I want to go into the history of it. I don't think I could make the entire exhibit only on on how silver coins went to clad. I also don't think I could explain other events well such as events that were going on like the depression, etc. I would need to stick to the cions.

Hoard, do you think I could use cardboard box as a display other than spending money on wood to build a display case? I think this would work better.

Kevin, is this a presentation (as in a speech), or is it an exhibit that you plan on setting and leaving in place?

It's an exhibit that i plan on setting and leaving in place.

Thanks for calling by my name and not my forum name. I really don't like my forum name.

:signofftopic:

I know this wasn't the point, but I like seeing 3M brand items recommended. It isn't my LARGEST stock holding, but it is part of my portfolio, and a favored stock of mine. Such a conglomorate, and they make so many nifty things that so many people can't seem to get away from. Hooray for 3M! :headbang: