• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unlisted Austria ECU Coins

7 posts in this topic

Good evening, everyone.

I decided to go pick up my "Music Coin" collection today because I had acquired a few new additions in the past few years and decided that today would be the day to "introduce" therm (that's what my wife calls it when I have to move all of the eagle 2x2 holders to new places on the pages) so as to slip in the new additions. Anyway, I have 2 silver crown sized coins from Austria for 25 ECU, 1995 and 1996 honoring Strauss and Mozart. Does anyone know why the ECU coins are not in the Standard Catalog of World Coins 1901-2000?

On a side note...does anyone have a good idea what to do with the coins that are in these plush cases or are too big for a 2x2 slots. I would like the whole collection "displayed" and somehow stored together. They won't fit in slab pages either. What do you do when a set is mixed as to 2x2's, cases, sets...so as to make a nice display?

Many thanks.

RI AL

You might want to look at Krause's companion volume, Unusual World coins. It lists strange things, things from imaginary countries, private mints, things that weren't meant to circulate, and the like. I am not entirely sure what it is you've got, but if it's not in standard Krause, try there.

Good evenin', Physics-fan.

Here are scans of the 2 Austrian ECU coins. They are just short of silver dollar size and they sure look like normal coins to me...except they are proofs. Mozart didn't get in a cat fight...the case is scratched.

I don't have the Unusual world coins book but I guess I can locate a copy.

Appreciate the suggestion. Thanks..

RI AL

ecuobv.jpg

ecurev.jpg

Since the ECU was the pre-Euro and didn't actually circulate, I think the unusual coins catalog would be a great place to start. While I'm not an expert on the European banking system, I believe that the ECU was introduced to start to wean countries off their individual currencies.

Mozart is amazing, by the way. I am looking at buying a set of his symphonies, if I can only decide which conductor I want (and the coin isn't bad, either :thumbsup: )

OK...I'll shop around and get the Unusual World COin Catalog. I believe a new edition has just been released.

Wouldn't 'cha know...I spend all that time cataloging my music coins and find out today that the new 2001-present catalog is being printed. Guess I'll pre-order one of those too. So many of my recent music coin additions are not listed in the "current" 2008 edition.

Amazon.com (am I allowed to say that here???) seems to have the best price but they want to ship the 2 books together in May. I'm patient...but not THAT patient. I'll keep hunting.

Still snowing, RI AL is still shoveling about every 2 hours...and I left Miami for WHAT???

I can't help you with your choice of conductors, but take it from a college Music Major (back when we were beating of animal skins and doing cave drawings). ...the symphonies will knock your socks off. Did you ever see the movie "Amadeus"? Not historically accurate but much fun!!

RI AL