• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG purchase for me.

47 posts in this topic

harvery8542, I found the transaction, noticed it was an offer thing, so I am sure he didnt expect alot and you didnt pay alot. I am sure ( I HOPE) you didnt pay much, because, as has been said over and over...the WORST grading companies. But they dont claim to be over the top grades....I'd grab a Dansco, and start filling that up for now..and in the future, at the very least, you have melt value...which in those holders, at those grades, I hope you didnt pay much more than melt......I am sure you have at least one example of every date you bought that IS UNC. If some of them look like the one you showed us (very nice looker, not worthy of sending in) , you could have gotten a good deal on a good start on a Dansco, but dont count on doing anything more than wasting grading fees if you submit. While the coin you presented and showed us its all, and it looks great (I'd LOVE to have it in a Frankie Dansco), its clearly not going to FBL due to the 'mushiness' on the left of the bell, and it wont score high due to the scratch/'bag mark'(?) under 'IGWT'...but, as I said, for a Dansco, I'd love to have that in mine...wanna trade? lol.... Nice pick-ups, as long as your expectations werent that high and you didnt spend a ton on them..which I am sure you didnt. So, I am gonna say nice pick up!

Thank you all for the input. I really got slapped around on this one :boo::flamed: but I appreciate the honesty. Well I guess when I get them in hand I will try to post better pics so you all can see and maybe shed some more light on them for me. If they are to bad I always can return them (shrug) Time to go lick my wounds :sorry::insane:

I am compelled to respond to your post hoping others will begin to understand the complexity out there with the different means of obtaining coins.

Harvey, the first thing you need to understand is, that some of these self-slabbing companies indiscriminately assigned FBL designation on marginal Franklin’s in order to squeeze out a little more profit.

Time and time again history has dictated that when any “Top Tier” grading services attempts to cross over these “self-slabbed” coins into a higher grade or even into an equivalent one, the coins are consistently over graded and designations are not quite up to standards. They, the “self-slabbers” always claim the grade is “subjectivity” and that there is no set way on “how-to” grade a specific coin.

But, you can have a “consensus” grade and be impartial to the bottom line and still get the correct grade assigned, that has been proven already for years and years.

There is simply no choice for the top tier to do but to down grade one or two points and in most cases to even drop the designations altogether. Dealing with these coins in these holders is like a krap shoot at best, sometimes you win but most times you actually loose in the long run.

Hopefully your purchase price was reasonable, but then again, what is reasonable for this assortment of coins?

I sincerely all this works out for you one way or the other, you deserve the very best for dollars spent.

~Woody~

Thank you very much Woody if any of them are worth trying to get graded they would be cracked out first and be sent in as raw coins. If not I have 7 day return.

Thank you very much Woody if any of them are worth trying to get graded they would be cracked out first and be sent in as raw coins.

Harvey, don't you think this would have occured to the seller, too? Particularly if he/she was conversant enough with coins to post on the BST ATS?

Harvey, PCGS is more forgiving on FBL than NGC. On the other hand they tend to be 1/4 to 1/2 point tougher on Frankies... So what might go MS64 at NGC might go MS63FBL at PCGS.

Got them in the mail today. :cry: Looked them all over alot of the FBL's were very close but each had 1 or more nicks that I feel would have prevented them from getting FBL at NGC. SO back they go. Thank you alll for the input.

It might be I have this wrong but I don't think a nick would keep it from being FBL, It would have to be a strike issue that keeps the lines from being separated or continuing all the way across.

It might be I have this wrong but I don't think a nick would keep it from being FBL, It would have to be a strike issue that keeps the lines from being separated or continuing all the way across.

As in so many things, it depends. A small nick, or even 3, generally won't stop an FBL if it's solidly there and the nicks aren't too bad. On the other hand, one serious nick (or even a smallish nick on a "just makes it" FBL) will kill the designation.

Coins in these slabs are often heavily discounted, sometimes even below the level of raw MS60 coins, so can often offer excellent value for those willing to buy the COIN and not the plastic.

I have seen PCGS and NGC Franklins in slabs with the same grades which are WORSE than the coins shown here...go to any show and look at the dealers with boxes and boxes of cheap slabs and you will see.

No, they probably won't "cross" but that's no reason they can't be left in the plastic they are in. The buyer and seller should come to their own conclusions to the grade and value of a coin...AS THEY ALSO SHOULD WITH PCGS OR NGC SLABS...

Thanks sky was hoping to get a couple FBL's that are actual FBL's out of this lot to sell and recoup some money, and give the rest to my son for his collection. If not oh well he can have them all and he will be a happy little boy come Easter Bunny time.

You'd be better off not spending any additional money on plastic. The coins are what they are, and if you paid MS63 money, you are doing fine. The existing slabs are better protection for the coin then cracking them out.