• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canon and coins

35 posts in this topic

I have a canon IS S3 that takes pretty good pictures. It has a super-macro mode. It cost me $400 last year and I'm sure is under $300 this yr. the way technology changes things.

S3 IS

I have a cannon powershot SX100 IS with a cheap tripod and a few cheap wallmart lamps with Reveal bulbs and I can get these images right out of the box:

Slabbed coins are extremely tough to image but not with this camera

EbaySales018.jpg

coins010.jpg

coins2046.jpg

coins2050.jpg

Got the camera on sale for $209...usually runs $299 and I have to say it's all the camera I will ever need for coin imaging (thumbs u

I've heard others talk of a copy stand Ant. I use a homemade one. I didn't like a tripod.

Yeah, I still use a tripod and it's a chore to work around sometimes. I'd like a copy stand at some point.

I have been a fan of Canon cameras since the film days. I still have my AE-1 program and still use it for nature shots. For digital, I use a Canon S2 IS. It's a fantastic camera!! The current version is the S5 IS. If I was in the market for a camera, I would not hesitate to get the S5. Aside from a 12x OPTICAL zoom, it has a super macro mode that makes taking closeup coin pix wonderful!!

The attached was taken with the S2 IS (and the background added with Photoshop).

Scott :hi:

52965-1976S-JFK-Silver-Proof.jpg.e5e56a7db043244b614e68ea41ee963f.jpg

i think that the s5 is what im going to go for. can i get different lenses for it?

Canon has a lot of different lenses you can use with the S5

Canon Close-up Lens 250D and the 500D really work well.

Here are some images with the Canon S2 camera with the 250D

6-1.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

Capture_00065.jpg

i think that the s5 is what im going to go for. can i get different lenses for it?

The lens on the S5 is fixed. But you get a 12x zoom and a super macro mode. You can buy an adapter and add filters that will extend the zoom to 24x or enhance the macro. But the later will be more of a fisheye effect.

Try the camera first. If you think you want to play with lenses then PM me and I will dig up where I found a compatible adapter at much less than the similar one from Canon.

ok thanks all! i have made a few upgrades and for the price i just couldnt pass. one i got the S5 IS, and love it. i ordered a used S3 IS from the bay but thaught about it and had to have the newer one. so i will now have boath or 1 to sell. and a lil break down goes like this:

S5 IS = $400

1yr coverage = $44 (makes it 2 yrs of coverage)

S3 IS = $175 used ( ebay )

tripod = $15(just a starter :P )

total for 2 cams = $634 not bad in my eyes and if im happy by time the S3 comes ill just sell it :)

im so much more happy and my desk will have lots more room on it :) thanks to all that helped! its not quite a rebal but it is awsome! ive been wanting to show off some stuff but i cant capture the colors. (i dont like colored coins) but these were acidental and i have redipped and collored many times. some are very colorfull while others are just ugly. im so happy that im putting out a warning for picks :) they will be coming alot now :)

Here are two sets of images of the same coin taken with my canon DSLR. I can't duplicte Mikes copper images of late. I may have to take him out to dinner and buy enough wine that he spills the secrets of his lighting.

1855UR55rev.jpg

1855UR55obv.jpg

1855UR55rev1.jpg

1855UR55obv1.jpg

Nice looking '55, NT! :applause:

And, Anthony, major improvement in picture quality! And I like that little acrylic stand. I've got to make me some of those.

The lens on the S5 is fixed. But you get a 12x zoom and a super macro mode. You can buy an adapter and add filters that will extend the zoom to 24x or enhance the macro. But the later will be more of a fisheye effect.

Try the camera first. If you think you want to play with lenses then PM me and I will dig up where I found a compatible adapter at much less than the similar one from Canon.

I would love to see some images of what the filters can do compared to the 250D and the 500D lens. I'm all for saving money :grin: