• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone collect state quarters?

14 posts in this topic

I didn't before, but my godson really got into it once he started learning to count change (he's 6 going on 20 haha). I bought him a PCGS PR69 DCAM OH and I thought it looked really nice with the reverse showing under the label. Then they started doing those flagged versions which I do not like as much.

So my godson and I collect them together. Whenever I go over or he comes here we search eBay for other PR69 DCAMs. He doesn't not like the flags because they do not match our current one. Anyway besides spending some quality time together, he is practicing his reading and hopefully I am encouraging his coin collecting interests.

Just wondering if anyone else has an opinion of the flagged vs non-flagged slabs?

I was extremely reluctant at first. Basically, I always have that "future profit potential" in the back of my mind and I looked at the quarters as a sure long term LOSER. But around the end of 2000, I thought it would be nice to at least have all the MS and proof clad issues and I bought in. However, I missed out on the 99's and now I'm regretting not getting in sooner. Now I have a pretty premium to pay if I want the proofs, the MS set isn't too bad at all. To compound matters I've been lazy in acquiring the 99's and the price just seems to get higher every year. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

1999 Proof quarter donations accepted here insane.gif

I have them all in PR69 DCAM as well as a few albums of uncircs smile.gif figure I can give the albums to my kids if I ever have any or maybe a cousin or something (and one for me of course) grin.gif

I collect the silver proof sets. Good investment, actually.

Your tellin me.....My local dealer offered me $175.00 for my 1999 sets.Said he doesn't care what they look like.....Bring em in.

If he is offerin $175.00 They must be gettin over $200.00 easy. popcorn.gif

I wish I had never seen a statehood quarter!!!! I have spent more time and

money on them, thru grading, buying mint sets, upgrading, blah blah blah.

If I only had PA-d, NJ-d, GA-d, and ME-d in 67 or better I would be a happy camper. I also have silver and clad proofs in 69. Nope, I hate these quarters!!!! thumbsup2.gif

I only have (2) certified State Quarters (a MS67 and a PR69DCAM) but pull them out of a mint set every year and put them into a Dansco Album. I also have Proofs and Silver Proofs still in their sets.

Does anyone have opinions about the PCGS Flag slabs? I don't like them. I prefer to have the reverse and the label data on the same side. If they had put the reverse with the data label and the flag with the obverse then it would have been OK with me. Now you have to flip the holder to see the grade and the obverse is upside down

I get one silver proof set each yet, I dont buy the clad proof set. I also get three mint sets. I cherry pick the nicest and make one set, then stick them in an Intercept sheild folder. I take the other two sets and put them in my daughters Whitman folders.

Interesting that those quarters in the Whitman folders already have a gold tone on them now. The ones in the intercept are still brilliant.

I have several sets for my children and myself, every coin out of circulation. It it great to be able to collect interesting coins out of circulation again, and a fun way to learn more about history, geography, and numismatics with your children. Bust halves are $200+ in AU, state quarters are only two bits in AU. What a deal!