• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Us Mints Warehouse Damaged During Feb 7th Tornado!!!!

18 posts in this topic

This is About my recent journal you may have read.

But I had called the mint about an hour ago to inquire about my order that was placed the first day, 3 hours after the skinny chickens went on sale!

After Arguing with the a customer service rep about him saying my order was shipped, but then couldn't provide any information, and used the excuse that he couldn't access it because the time of night. :censored: Immediately Knowing he was lying, I asked for a supervisor!

I started to talk to the supervisor whom got to telling me my order was indeed NOT shipped, and was still in process!! I kindof got hott headed and stated that I had sat on hold for 3 hours when they had gone on sell to purchase atleast 1 of everything, and they cannot tell me anything about my order. rantrant

he said sir, Well to tell you during the tornados the Mints warehouse was indeed damaged, I Asked "well What about my coins???", He than stated yes, Sir I'm sorry to tell you this but many of the warehouse Coins Were Damaged and Swept Away in the Tornado!!! I was completly Jaw struck, I didn't know what to say....

I asked where all coins accounted for?? He went on saying that the actually building was severely damaged and many coins were unaccounted for!!!! :pullhair:

Basically making all my worse dreams come true(since this is what everyones been talking about the last 2 weeks or so since the tornado hit!!)!!

We talked about a couple other minor issues but it lead to the end of the phone call and still awaiting my actually order to hopefully be shipped soon( I Guess thats all I can do is Wait!!)

They told me I should be expecting my order to be shipping very soon and Couldn't even tell me any more than that!!!

But I thought this was information enough to spread with the Community!!! (thumbs u

What's the problem? Calm down. If you don't get your coins, you will get a refund, no doubt. People could have died man, have some sympathy. Worry more about their rebuilding than where your coins are.

I'm Fine about my order, i thought everyone should Know about the Damaged Coins in the warehouse as well as the ones unaccounted for that were swept away from the building.

I'm alittle upset about the matter of the Mints Representatives keep giving me a run around on the matter of my package was shipped/wasn't shipped and cannot tell me anything about it..... But this would explain why....

I'm Fine about my order, i thought everyone should Know about the Damaged Coins in the warehouse as well as the ones unaccounted for that were swept away from the building.

I'm alittle upset about the matter of the Mints Representatives keep giving me a run around on the matter of my package was shipped/wasn't shipped and cannot tell me anything about it..... But this would explain why....

CS Reps don't know much. This is the case, unfortunately, with most institutions I have called with customer service. They're clueless.

CS Reps don't know much. This is the case, unfortunately, with most institutions I have called with customer service. They're clueless.

I have come to find this out when, on the 24th I called about my order, they confirmed it was gonna ship within a couple days, I said ok cool. Called back on the 30th asking about my order, its gonna be a couple more days lol, Ok...... Call back in the 4th of febuary asking to talk with a supervisor, he somehow got information that it was gonna ship on the 7th(Sweet, but so happens to be The day the tornado hit!!)

Since Then I have just kindof left it as that, Since I'm just getting run arounds and noone can actually tell me anything useful.....

I was just astonished that they could not account for coins or how many were actually damaged, or how many packages were lost!!

Some things you may want to know--or should know--about how the Mint operates:

The order processing center is in Memphis, Tennessee on the grounds of a number of buildings that support other bureaus within the Department of the Treasury. Treasury officials have publicly stated that the only building to sustain damage was the Mint's warehouse.

The Mint's customer service lines lead to another Treasury Facility in Austin, Texas. There is a backup facility in Provo, Utah. When you call the toll free number, they use the Mint's catalog website (catalog.usmint.gov), just like you would, to check the order. The website used to be hosted in the Mint's operational warehouse outside of Camden, New Jersey. But the Mint is changing how they are processing inventory, so the facility is being downsized and the website had to move elsewhere. I do not know where it was moved.

Information about the order and inventory is added on a regular schedule (it used to be 4 times per day, but I think it was reduced to 2 times). However, if the Memphis center was down or could not communicate directly with the Mint's facilities, there was no way to enter the information on the website. CSR's may have been told to provide information on the orders noting the likelihood of the status change and providing that to the caller. That is a customer service issue. Further, the systems in Memphis may have been damaged, making it impossible to know what the inventory is or the status of some orders may be. It is possible that the CSRs are using speculation based on a known-to-them criteria.

The Mint uses an inventory process called Just-In-Time inventory where they amount of inventory reflects what they need now and in a short term. Since time moves, the short term window moves. Some demand is anticipated, others are not. Since the demand is cyclical and based on orders for product, they know what they need, not what they have. Based on how inventory flow, I am not surprised the Mint does not have an exact accounting of inventory. I was involved with a project in a past life for another government agency that worked in a similar fashion!

As part of the inventory movement, the order processing center is just another customer to the Mint. Regardless of whether the customer is the order processing center or one of the twelve Federal Reserve Regional Banks, the order is received by the Mint and the appropriate facility manufactures the necessary inventory for the order. Obviously, the Mint understands past ordering trends and does get some guidance by the customer as to how much product is necessary.

We may think of the US Mint as something "special," but it really is nothing more than a manufacturing operation. The Philadelphia Mint is the largest factory in the world that produces coins and the process is similar to that of an automated factory. From the time the planchets or the rolls metals are delivered, to the final bagging or packaging, the only human involvement is starting the processes (i.e., feeding the rolled sheets of metal into the stamping machine) and maintenance (i.e., changing worn dies on a press). At the end of the line, 1000 coins are placed in a large ballistic bag, sealed, and set to the warehouse for further distribution. Some coins are held back and sent to the packaging room for special packaging (e.g., Mint Sets). In Philadelphia, bullion and commemorative coins are sent to special presses that are located in the packaging room. These presses are programmed to work slower, provide more striking force, and keeps those coins separate from the circulation stock.

The Mint may be far from perfect, but considering the volume of product they produce and the requirement to serve the public (collectors, dealers, etc.) and supply the Federal Reserve Banks with coins, they do a pretty good job!

Scott :hi:

I don't know if the Customer Service center was originally in Austin and it changed because of the New Vendor but according to the latest issue of Coin World the Customer service center is in Plano Texas.

On other forums it has been reported that the damage to the warehouse was relatively minor and that they are again in operation after being down for five days. I doubt that coins were scattered to the winds.

I don't know if the Customer Service center was originally in Austin and it changed because of the New Vendor but according to the latest issue of Coin World the Customer service center is in Plano Texas.
It's possible that a new contractor is in Plano, but the situation is still the same... they access the Mint's website to get their information.

Let's get real -- there was a TORNADO that ripped the building apart. Even CLUELESS CSRs can see that, and have an idea what that means.

It's a poorly run operation that doesn't just own up to it and have a CSR "alert" so that when people call, their reps can tell people about the damage to coins, that coins are being melted, reproduced, what-have-you. So CSRs don't have to think, they usually do this in the form of "Talking Points" and if anything from the customer goes BEYOND the official talking points, then THAT is when it goes to the supervisor.

These folks have left the CSRs completely in the dark, or specifically told them to try to evade the question, which only creates more problems.

All in all: BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE and NO WAY TO RUN A CALL CENTER.

<---17 years in a service environment, including call center management, including developing an internet customer service unit back when that was "new" and including working for the president of a Fortune 100 company handling complaints which escalated THAT high because stupid front line reps would say or do stupid things like this!

<---17 years in a service environment, including call center management, including developing an internet customer service unit back when that was "new" and including working for the president of a Fortune 100 company handling complaints which escalated THAT high because stupid front line reps would say or do stupid things like this!

Silly Bully... you want the Mint to act responsibly. While they may play lip service to that concept, they are the only game in town! The US Mint is the government mandated manufacturer of legal tender coinage. Why should they "care" what you or I think. The coins will get sold. Unless you change your collecting habits, the coins and sets will either be sold directly to you or to a dealer who will then sell them to you. Either way, you will be buying the inventory, and that is how they like it! :pullhair:

You cannot even claim "your tax dollars at work" because the Mint's budget is taken from the Public Enterprise Fund and not the general Treasury. The PEF is where the seignorage is deposited. Remember that when you buy a 2007-W American Silver Eagle for $21.95 and the cost of silver is around $15!

... they access the Mint's website to get their information

Are you certain about this? I called once to see if I could cancel an order. I had just checked my status online and it said "In Stock and Reserved." When I called the customer "service," they told me that I couldn't cancel because it had already been shipped to me. Either she was looking at something else, or "In Stock and Reserved" means something different to her than it does to me.

There seems to be some disagreement. I was only reporting what was said in Coin World as to the damage which does not seem to be great as well as the fact that the Customer Service was located in Plano.I don't know if the latter was always the case or just because of the New Vendor.

Coin World states that the delay according to the Mint could be two weeks.The Mint came back and said it would only be a few das.

I have several Subscriptions and received an E MAIL on one that there would be a 1 week delay on one and another E mail that there would be a two week delay on another so I don't know if it depends on the type of order or they just keep delaying it.

Coin World states that the delay according to the Mint could be two weeks.The Mint came back and said it would only be a few das.

I have several Subscriptions and received an E MAIL on one that there would be a 1 week delay on one and another E mail that there would be a two week delay on another so I don't know if it depends on the type of order or they just keep delaying it.

I am getting MORE and MORE emails from the Mint about various subscriptions being delayed.

I have orders that when I check the status online, the "ship date" seems to be moved later and later. Not that I really mind in these cases, because frankly, the reality is, the longer it takes for the Mint to ship the coins, the longer it is before the charges hit my AMEX!

When I DID mind was in 2006, at the end of the year when they issued the very first 2006-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagles. I happened to be online and notice them that day - the day they went on sale, and ordered 5. Well, despite ordering them on DAY ONE, mine were backordered. When I say backordered, I didn't get them until, I believe, AUGUST of 2007! Needless to say, I missed the "Early Release" deadline imposed by NGC. Postmarks from the Mint are useless in that case unfortunately, unlike the Anniversary Eagle sets.

So, since I don't have anything that is currently time sensitive, the Mint can take their time and I'm glad to keep my cash for the time being. With any luck, when they ARE back up and running, it will be in dribs and drabs, and not ALL AT ONCE, so my AMEX bill doesn't explode, like the roof on the Mint warehouse.

:whatev:

Not sure why you are addressing me as to the "scattered winds" as that was not my comment.

I didn't address it to you, I always use the quick reply at the end of the thread and it places the name of whoever has the last response in the thread in the Re: of the header of my post. In this case I am repling directly and you can tell from your name in the quote I posted in this response. Notice that although I have quoted you, the Re: shows Bully because he is the reply above mine.