• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 $5 Gold eagle Mint error

13 posts in this topic

When it comes to mint errors, mintages are notoriously hard to find- especially in a modern series. Out of curiosity how did you arrive at your best offer price?

Welcome. As a dealer in moderns including the bullion coins I occasionally come across a cool error. I remember a platinum 06-W $50 coin that was struck thru a piece of stainless steel cable or something like that.

Unfortunately, there isn't much of a market for errors like this. Error collectors tend to focus on the circulation strikes. Even then, struck thrus are fairly common.

Your auction doesn't say what it is struck thru. the most common is grease. the die gets a glob of grease in it and part of the devices are weak or not there. these errors aren't valuable.

I'm afraid you made a boo-boo but at least it isn't a very expensive one. Hang around here and you'll read about all the things to avoid and how to become a thriving and happy collector.

--Jerry

I saw another one that one for similar price and so i made an offer below what he was asking. I think I will try to sell this once I get it, I thought it might be a good investment since the 1999 error coin seems to have gone up, maybe a rookie mistake, not sure.

With those photos I would just assume it is a minor strike through and worth basicly bullion. Most collectors who chase the high grade coins would pass on this one because of the strike through, and most of the error collectors aren't that interested in a common error on an expensive coin. So you have lost two of the major collector groups who might have been interested in this coin. So you are left with the people who buy eagles for the bullion. I see it as about a $100 coin.

With those photos I would just assume it is a minor strike through and worth basicly bullion. Most collectors who chase the high grade coins would pass on this one because of the strike through, and most of the error collectors aren't that interested in a common error on an expensive coin. So you have lost two of the major collector groups who might have been interested in this coin. So you are left with the people who buy eagles for the bullion. I see it as about a $100 coin.

On the other hand, we've all seen some strange things go for some strange prices on the 'bay, so, who knows, you may be able to sell it for enough to at least get your money back. :)

Main thing: learn something from your mistakes. And stick around - you'll get to learn from our mistakes, as well!