• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinion and comments, if any, of my experimental BST Auction thread?

27 posts in this topic

I used the BST to auction of an 1874 half in this thread , and am shipping the coin to Jim (jesbroken) as agreed.

Now, I'd like to know your opinions on this sort of thread. Does it bother you to see auction items like this on the BST, knowing that each time there's a bid, it will jump to the top? Is this an appropriate venue for such an auction? Did the rules seem fair?

Your opinions and feedback are very welcome. I look forward to comments both pro and con.

I was fine with the thread the way it was. It's just a fun auction. If some people are bothered by it, however, we should have a separate forum for BST auction-style listings.

I was fine with the thread the way it was. It's just a fun auction. If some people are bothered by it, however, we should have a separate forum for BST auction-style listings.

Words of wisdom from the mouth of youngsters!

I liked it, and cannot fathom why it shouldn't be in the Money Marketplace. It doesn't really matter to me as long as most people on the forum are agreeable to it. Majority rules. We should have an alternative to Ebay, I'm not sure this is it but it certainly cannot hurt.

I like the idea, too, but I think in all fairness that it should be a subforum of the Marketplace. Here are some other points to ponder:

1) Should a time limit be imposed for every auction? 24 hours? 48 hours? Or what?

2) Can the seller set a minimum opening bid?

3) Should additional posts by the seller be disallowed (just to bump the listing) except to answer a specific question by a bidder?

4) Should "Reserves" be disallowed?

Can anyone think of any other requirements and/or restrictions?

Chris

I like the idea, too, but I think in all fairness that it should be a subforum of the Marketplace. Here are some other points to ponder:

1) Should a time limit be imposed for every auction? 24 hours? 48 hours? Or what?

3) Should additional posts by the seller be disallowed (just to bump the listing) except to answer a specific question by a bidder?

Chris

I don't see why a seller shouldn't be able to set an opening bid, and why they shouldn't be able to place a reserve. Also, I don't think there needs to be a time limit. The forum does not generate enough traffic to put a limit on it.

Does it bother you to see auction items like this on the BST, knowing that each time there's a bid, it will jump to the top? Is this an appropriate venue for such an auction? Did the rules seem fair?

I for one see no problems with this. There is not enough post to really worry about a auction post jumping to the top. The “TTT” here are few. It seems to me to take half a second to click on page 2 is most times worth the time spent. A lot of good bargains can be there. At least with a auctions bump to the top I will see new info as where most of us don’t add new info when we TTT.

The rules you used are also fine. As for others whatever rules they come up with would be fine. Because if you don’t like an auctions posted rules don’t bid.

Your always going to have some who don’t like ideas and you can’t keep everyone happy all the time.

If I had anything for sale Id try this out no matter what other “posters” here say. Until the moderators here at NGC say something just ignore the so call cops.

Minimum bid should be stated and a 1 week max should be instated. I do like the idea of having a sub-folder for it under the Marketplace or else have a single thread started for auctions and have it reside permanently at the top.

Minimum bid should be stated and a 1 week max should be instated. I do like the idea of having a sub-folder for it under the Marketplace or else have a single thread started for auctions and have it reside permanently at the top.

Victor, remember how easily Mike (jgrinz) posted his eBay listings in the Marketplace? Let's assume that 20 other members figured out how to do the same in this proposed subforum. Then someone listing just one item could easily be buried for a week beneath 25 pages of other auction items.

Chris

I'm never selling on eBay again, so I need another venue to auction. I'd rather keep my coins among fellow collectors. I agree with Victor: set time, subfolder, etc.

James, was the 22$ about what you were hoping to sell it for?

I know it was an experiment, but I guess my real question is, will BTS members be able to support dozens of auctions?

I used the BST to auction of an 1874 half in this thread , and am shipping the coin to Jim (jesbroken) as agreed.

Now, I'd like to know your opinions on this sort of thread. Does it bother you to see auction items like this on the BST, knowing that each time there's a bid, it will jump to the top? Is this an appropriate venue for such an auction? Did the rules seem fair?

Your opinions and feedback are very welcome. I look forward to comments both pro and con.

fair and reasonable to me (thumbs u

i think this is a great idea :applause:

I thought it was good! I was thinking of trying one myself. hm

Zach, I hope you will! I would love to see other versions of this idea in practice. Please do list something.

I'm never selling on eBay again, so I need another venue to auction. I'd rather keep my coins among fellow collectors. I agree with Victor: set time, subfolder, etc.

Lee, by all means, give it a shot. As suggested to Zach above, I'd love to see other versions of this attempted.

I for one see no problems with this. There is not enough post to really worry about a auction post jumping to the top. The “TTT” here are few. It seems to me to take half a second to click on page 2 is most times worth the time spent. A lot of good bargains can be there. At least with a auctions bump to the top I will see new info as where most of us don’t add new info when we TTT.

The rules you used are also fine. As for others whatever rules they come up with would be fine. Because if you don’t like an auctions posted rules don’t bid.

Your always going to have some who don’t like ideas and you can’t keep everyone happy all the time.

If I had anything for sale Id try this out no matter what other “posters” here say. Until the moderators here at NGC say something just ignore the so call cops.

I agree that it's impressive how well folks on this forum limit their TTTs. Each time an auction item gets a bid, it's going to go to the top. But then again, that means the items with lots of bids - the most action and interest - will spend the most time at the top, and they probably deserve to do so.

I agree with this. I don't think there should be a mandated minimum. If someone starts an auction out way to high, it'll get no bids, and will fall below the other auction items that are at reasonable bid levels and garnering new bids. I also like the "one week maximum". In fact, since we can tell the exact date and time when a thread was begun, there may not even need to be any action taken at the conclusion of the sale. Simply the last person to get his bid in before the one week expiration is the winner. Of course, there would always be the option of going for fewer than seven days, but I like the "one week standard" very much.

James, was the 22$ about what you were hoping to sell it for? I know it was an experiment, but I guess my real question is, will BTS members be able to support dozens of auctions?

I paid $25, and am happy with $20 net (after shipping). This is because it actually came to me in a large lot of coins, and I can simply move some "cost" numbers around. My guess is that there is an upper and lower limit at which coins will perform in this type of venue. I doubt that a 1957-D Wheat cent in VF will do very well, nor will an 1881-S Morgan in MS-66 DMPL! But I suspect that most of us are willing to risk $10 - $200 on coins with good images. I know I would. I've bought and sold several very nice coins on the BST.

Chris

I love the idea of a separate folder. It's something we would need to convince Arch to do for us. Addressing the other points:

(1) I suggest a time limit of seen days.

(2) The seller can definitely set a minimum opening bid. This has benefits for everyone. No reason to start a $200 coin at $1, since that lead to countless TTTs by way of small incremental bids. But I think the choice should completely up to the seller.

(3) Yes. I think the seller should be allowed only the opening post, the closing post, and answers to questions. TTTs by the seller should be strictly prohibited.

(4) I think the "reserve" simply ends up being the opening bid. I don't think that silent reserves should be allowed. We should all be honorable sellers who know that if something is listed in the auction format, it will sell provided the opening minimum is met.

I'll add (5) shipping should be stated up front - the simpler the better

and (6) I don't know what kind of feedback system could be used, if any is even needed (which I doubt)

Victor, remember how easily Mike (jgrinz) posted his eBay listings in the Marketplace? Let's assume that 20 other members figured out how to do the same in this proposed subforum. Then someone listing just one item could easily be buried for a week beneath 25 pages of other auction items.

I don't think this will happen. The boards don't generate that much traffic (yet). If they did get to the point where there were enough items to bury something 25 deep, chances are that would also reflect increased traffic, and more folks (such as myself) who are looking two or three pages out for active auctions. Given sufficient traffic, I don't think things will fall through the cracks.

Provided NGC and Arch et. al. will permit this venture to develop, this is a fantastic opportunity in my mind. No listing fees, no selling fees, no closing costs, no final value fees, no shipping fee nonsense. No eBay canning your listings, no spams from the idiot scammers, no PAYPAL nonsense, no ridiculous "replica" listings, no third-world slabs, no "unsearched hoards" - man, wouldn't this be GREAT if we can make it work?

Other comments, please!

James, when you first brought up this idea, Chris & Tom suggested that members might be hesitant to bid against friends, and even though I didn't respond, I agreed. I have refrained from bidding on ebay when I saw a name that I recognized, because I would prefer to not cause hard feelings or make enemies on this board. Your experiment, however, seemed to work well, and though I didn't participate, I enjoyed watching it, and reading the comments. I, for one, would like to see it continue. It may not be the only ebay alternative, or even the best, but with a sensible approach and active participation, I feel it could be a viable one.

After some thought an easy thing for NGC to do would be similar to the POLL Modules (Input Forms).

The member making an auction would select “Auction” just like making a poll. The “form” would run as a single post much like the poll with a Pre filled in field of the member’s name (ID) that is bidding and have a field that the price can be placed into. Then post in the same mod the members ID and current bid. This is simple HTML Input forms and something that NGC could look at to do.

Then there wouldn’t be any JUMPS to the top when there was a bid.

James,

Has anyone spoke with arch or anyone else at NGC in this regards? I think this is a tremendous idea that should not be dropped. Thanks, for having the nerve to start it on your own. I hope we do not let it fall to the wayside. I truly like the idea of the likening it to the poll forms and although it would not bother me for it to be bumped up each time a bid was made, it evidently does others. At the least it could be put in its own sub forum and that should no longer pose a problem.

We could try something like this. Feel free to test this. To try, read the Instructions post.The Auction I have posted here isnt real.This would allow members to bid and post with no Jumps to the top. Most should be able to see the site embeded here and navigate aswell.Thoughts?

I think All auction OFFERS should be PRIVATE in this type of forum auction format. I think it will eventually build up an UNINTENTIONAL hostility if two or more members are collecting the same thing and want what is offered.

My Idea would be similar to MY listing format in the MARKETPLACE forum, however the "clickable" item at auction, would EMAIL the seller thier offer and it would be up to the seller to tell the bidder wheather they were outbid or high bidder etcetera. Bidders ID's would be unknown to others just that 'thier' bid was outbid by another member OR are now high bidder.

THIS OF course brings in a TRUST issue into the equation which may be tough to overcome. Perhaps it would be the SELLER posting the HIGH figure in the public forum. The high bidder would know that was his bid - the others would also know that that was NOT thiers.

Just hashing things out loud - feel free to comment on this idea along with James' and Jeff's

I think All auction OFFERS should be PRIVATE in this type of forum auction format. I think it will eventually build up an UNINTENTIONAL hostility if two or more members are collecting the same thing and want what is offered.

My Idea would be similar to MY listing format in the MARKETPLACE forum, however the "clickable" item at auction, would EMAIL the seller thier offer and it would be up to the seller to tell the bidder wheather they were outbid or high bidder etcetera. Bidders ID's would be unknown to others just that 'thier' bid was outbid by another member OR are now high bidder.

THIS OF course brings in a TRUST issue into the equation which may be tough to overcome. Perhaps it would be the SELLER posting the HIGH figure in the public forum. The high bidder would know that was his bid - the others would also know that that was NOT thiers.

Just hashing things out loud - feel free to comment on this idea along with James' and Jeff's

I think it would make too much work for the seller. Let's face it, some of them do have other lives.

Chris