• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

REALISTIC values

4 posts in this topic

Been messing around the last couple of days looking at different coin sites...just fun to do. I noticed an interesting feature in the Heritage Rare Coins site (HRCG.com) called " my collection". You can list your coins and it gives you a value based upon "Numismedia Wholesale" (I think). Heritage has my respect, and I even had the opportunity of working with them as a temporary " remote cataloger" until their new computerized system was up and running. This was about 6 or 7 years ago...great fun...good people.

Anyway, what do you think of "Numismedia Wholesale" as a reasonably accurate means of evaluating what a collection might bring at sale. Of course, there are a zillion variables in valuation of which we are all aware...but in GENERAL...are they somewhere near realistic?

RI AL

I've just recently gotten back in to collecting seriously, so my ideas of values may be a little whacky. I buy through 3 auction places and through couple of dealers, I find the prices listed in Numismedia Wholesale reasonably close to what I've actually paid including buyers fees and shipping. Sometimes I buy cheaper but not that often, sometimes I pay more, usually nowhere near the PCGS listed retail prices though.

I have my Roosevelt collection listed in "My Collection" - the majority of them were purchased at prices below "numismedia wholesale" - but, it does appear to me to be a fairly accurate guide to wholesale prices, (in most cases) based on what I have observed, at least for Roosevelts.

JCM and JUST BOB.

Thanks for your input. I think I might just give it a try. Should be fun. The only problem is that when I depart the planet, I have to will my collection for sale so I will never get to see how close Numismedia values really are. BUT...I still plan to take the collection with me when I depart the planet.

Have a productive day, everyone.

RI Al