• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a pic of your Favorite Modern Commemorative Coin

39 posts in this topic

I'm sure it wouldn't take you guys too many guesses to figure out which ones I like.......here are 2...

I'll bet you like them because they are round!

Chris

Jeff, the National Community Service used to be one of my favorite designs until I got a close up of the woman's face. Now, that is pretty hideous! I apologize if you're related but my comment still stands! :þ

No offense taken Victor, the actual medal was really nice, I credit the mint engravers (whoever had the cahones to put their initials on a design that is arguably not their own) for the mint's "leatherface" edition. Here is a link to the original at the SGNHS: The Women’s Auxiliary of the Massachusetts Civil Service Reform Association Presentation Medal, 1905-06

Also, here is his design for the World’s Columbian Exposition Commemorative Presentation Medal, 1892-94 where you can clearly see the design influence on the 1992 half dollar.

No offense taken Victor, the actual medal was really nice, I credit the mint engravers (whoever had the cahones to put their initials on a design that is arguably not their own) for the mint's "leatherface" edition. Here is a link to the original at the SGNHS: The Women’s Auxiliary of the Massachusetts Civil Service Reform Association Presentation Medal, 1905-06

Also, here is his design for the World’s Columbian Exposition Commemorative Presentation Medal, 1892-94 where you can clearly see the design influence on the 1992 half dollar.

Thanks for the links. I didn't realize both were heavily influenced by Saint Gaudens. Classic design is alive and well ... as long as the translation comes through!

Jeff, the National Community Service used to be one of my favorite designs until I got a close up of the woman's face. Now, that is pretty hideous! I apologize if you're related but my comment still stands! :þ
Wow, I never looked that closely but I agree. Thomas D. Rogers, Sr. could have done a better job. I knew he did the Sackie and just found out he also did Daniel Carr's RI SHQ.

Great info, Jeff! I never knew that. Yep, the original design sports a much prettier model than the latter. I also never knew that the Columbus 1992 half was ripped, either.

Trivia like this keeps the hobby interesting for me. Thanks again for the post. (thumbs u(thumbs u