• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a pic of your Favorite Modern Commemorative Coin

39 posts in this topic

I think that the Dolly Madison Dollar shows the most artistic talent. But, it was designed by Tiffany's so it bypassed the gnashing teeth of the mint's selection process.

Good Gravy Marie! I am SOOOO torn right now.

The modern commemorative that IMMEDIATELY came to mind was the 1999 Dolley Madison, designed by Tiffany & Co., it has style and flair, accordingly.

However, to see the 2000 Library of Congress bi-metallic $10 piece in gold and platinum, that made me think of how excited I was when that coin came out, and that the U.S. was finally thinking in terms of Canada and Europe - that coins can be more than a single metal (like that's gonna happen), but it looked great!

I got one at the time, the proof version. In retrospect, the uncirculated version was produced in far lesser quantity and thus appears to be of greater value today.

However, now that gold AND platinum prices have skyrocketed, I think even the proof coin may catch the eye of some collectors/investors who previously overlooked it.

It may be time (long overdue) to pull that coin out of the safe deposit box and send it to NGC for grading!

My vote goes to.... oh wow, I can't decide.

After a few more pictures get posted, someone is going to have to start a poll of the "finalists" and only allow me ONE selection.

However, now that gold AND platinum prices have skyrocketed, I think even the proof coin may catch the eye of some collectors/investors who previously overlooked it.

It may be time (long overdue) to pull that coin out of the safe deposit box and send it to NGC for grading!

You mean you own of these :)

44415-loc_new.jpg

Some body beat me to it on the Dolly Madison dollar so I guess I'll post another favorite. I like this Atlanta Oympic $5 gold because I might own one of the tools that was used to strike it.

FlagBearerO.jpgFlagBearerR.jpg

A canceled obverse die ...

FlagBearerDie.jpg

Some body beat me to it on the Dolly Madison dollar so I guess I'll post another favorite. I like this Atlanta Oympic $5 gold because I might own one of the tools that was used to strike it.

Nice Coin ... I dont have the PROOF I have the MS version.

Neat Coinage artifact you have there too (thumbs u

You mean you own of these :)

44415-loc_new.jpg

You betcha I do! :cloud9::acclaim:

I had come across it a while back when I was taking inventory of some safe deposit boxes, and I grabbed some coins to pull out to be graded. WHY I didn't grab that one at the time is beyond me. This was a while back as I said, and gold, silver, and platinum had not surged by any means. Further, I had brought my Red Book with me, and as I recall, I was trying to be strategic about which coins I pulled out to submit for grading -- and as unique as the coin was, the only bi-metallic from the U.S., it just wasn't listed as being very valuable at the time, especially the proof coin.

However, now, with gold and ESPECIALLY platinum surging to almost daily record high prices, I think it would behoove me to rethink my decision, and pull that out of the safe-deposit box and submit it to NGC. Proof or not, I think it's something that will be good to have graded, and could be in demand with these precious metal prices.

Based on your photos, I take it you own one, or more? Proof AND uncirculated? Lucky :censored:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

mmmm, the Washington $5 gold commemorative is another that I've always found very appealing. Not only the bust, but the eagle is appealing.

Similar to the $10 Library of Congress, I left this one in my safe deposit box.

With gold surging, I think that's another that I need to yank and submit to NGC!

Wow, if I keep this up (and if they grade well), my Commemorative collection Registry Sets will go through the ROOF on points and will jump a few ratings, despite that I have a long way to go before being any kind of contender there. The gold coins really seem to help place those sets though.

I am not Sure if you checked mine out but I ONLY collect the GOLD Commem set - I found that US MInt was driving the Silver Commems price up via OUT OF POCKET expense by the VOLUME the issue more than I cared for.

One Of Each - Registry Units PF70 MS70 :)

I called that one, you lucky devil!

Those have GOT to score some MAJOR Registry Points!

A while back I had pulled a bunch of commemoratives (and others) from various safe deposit boxes for submission to NGC, and got very lucky on some.

I forget off the top of my head whether it was my PROOF or the UNCIRCULATED 2001 Commemorative Buffalo coin that came back as a 70, I want to say it was the PF70UC, and the other a MS69, but I could have them flipped in my mind. I am sure they're in my Registry Set by I am too lazy to look.

Some of them like the Dolley Madison (even at 69) and the Yellowstone, and others really add to the points.

I happen to love the REVERSE of the San Francisco Old Mint silver coin from 2006 because it renews such a classic: The Morgan Silver Dollar.

Similarly, the GOLD version reverse revives a classic as well.

I still have a renewed excitement about the LOC bi-metallic, not just for the precious metal price, but because I bet it can up my Registry Points big time if it grades well.

I am sure that the $5 George piece shown here wouldn't hurt either, so I am definitely going to take that out of cold storage too, and get my next order to NGC ready soon. The harder part is the schlep down to the safe deposit box -- actually, it's remembering WHICH box they are in at WHICH bank, but I think I may have entered them into my Microsoft Access database, and one of my "Drop down" menu choices is safe deposit box locations, (number and bank). If they're there, I can at least determine their location with ease, then make the schlep. Some of the boxes I've maintained even though I've moved, because some of the larger boxes are hard to get.

Anyway...

Here's YET ANOTHER likable commemorative is the 2001 BUFFALO, to which I alluded earlier. Here's a photo of my proof version, courtesy of NGC, during their "dark days" of imaging.

52852-2511993_005o.jpg.5fd59e4c15a21bed381f245fbb43ff6b.jpg

52853-2511993_005r.jpg.6bb9df8ff2291cdee98e609575ba6bd5.jpg

I am not Sure if you checked mine out but I ONLY collect the GOLD Commem set - I found that US MInt was driving the Silver Commems price up via OUT OF POCKET expense by the VOLUME the issue more than I cared for.

lol

Now that's a riot.

The mint was driving me out of the market of SILVER commemoratives with their $25-$35 pricing. But, the GOLD ones at $250+, those were much more affordable!

In retrospect, however, it seems like you may have made a VERY GOOD INVESTMENT!

I mean, I know that silver has technically outperformed gold exponentially over the last year or two, but the reality is that gold is so sky high, if you bought so much of it at such lower prices, and are sitting on a lot of especially high grade coins, well, you could be sitting very pretty.

ENJOY your riches! :acclaim:

Not really - I purchased them already slabbed BEFORE the numbers came out in the RED BOOK. It took it two years to get actual numbers ...

Of course we are talking years ago :) - The valuation on the MS70 is 4k - I paid 800 for it. You just have to take PRODUCTION NUMBERS into real consideration when purchasing coins for investment purposes. These coins ARE my retirement as I am self employed and do not make enough to fund a NORMAL retirement instrument I use this venue for that purpose.

Good Luck on your Gradings ... In your case though there are more PROOFS certified PF70 than less than so you have a good chance - PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE COIN OUT OF ITS air tight ( Not really - plastic container ).

Send it in as is.

Not really - I purchased them already slabbed BEFORE the numbers came out in the RED BOOK. It took it two years to get actual numbers ...

Of course we are talking years ago :) - The valuation on the MS70 is 4k - I paid 800 for it. You just have to take PRODUCTION NUMBERS into real consideration when purchasing coins for investment purposes. These coins ARE my retirement as I am self employed and do not make enough to fund a NORMAL retirement instrument I use this venue for that purpose.

Good Luck on your Gradings ... In your case though there are more PROOFS certified PF70 than less than so you have a good chance - PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE COIN OUT OF ITS air tight ( Not really - plastic container ).

Send it in as is.

I saw how few of each (even fewer of the LOC unc.) and wish that back when I was a younger collector that I had been buying the uncirculated coins as much. Now I know that there are generally fewer produced, because collectors tended to buy the proof versions, often making the unc. version a rarity and more valuable accordingly.

I was VERY excited recently because I submitted a lot of silver and gold to NGC, among them a relatively low production coin, the $10 First Flight (Wright Brothers) Gold Commemorative, Proof (because of course that's what I was buying back then) just over 21,000 made, and less than HALF that in unc. Darn!

The good news? It hasn't arrived yet, but NGC graded it at a PF70UC! HOORAY for ME! :cloud9:

:signofftopic:

Now, as for your retirement, while most investment advisers encourage a diversified portfolio, a number of them would have (and still do) say that INCLUDES exposure to precious metals such as silver, gold and platinum, and some are perfectly comfortable with that exposure being in the form of PHYSICAL noble metals such as coins (especially graded ones) -- MOST (if not all) will tell you not to keep all your retirement eggs in one basket.

So, just my two cents, because I care (yes, I am a worrier), but I hope that just because you may not have access to the standard 401k, 403b, IRA, or Roth IRA, etc., that you have not entirely steered clear of stocks and mutual funds. Stocks have, after all, historically outperformed most investments.

As many coins as I have (I am shocked more and more as I continue to enter them into my Access database), and the value keeps rising in that database (purchase price vs. replacement cost), and thus it could make a NICE retirement nest egg as well, with some room for profit taking now too, I am also a BIG fan of investments, for the long hall, and not just in my previous employer's 401ks, my Roth IRAs, etc. I am a fan of just plain old taxable investment accounts. Capital gains taxes on stock dividends are relatively low -- maxed out at 15%, even lower depending on your tax bracket.

So many stocks are strong dividend payers, and can be great performers, even if their stock price is depressed for years (a buy and hold strategy). Some are keepers because no matter the market, there is a demand for their services or the products they provide. Some, the prices are RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP right now, others are fairly prices, some are a little high -- I can't think of reasons not to own any of them though. Depending on your TIME HORIZON, that, however, would guide my investment strategy. If you have 25 years to go? Plenty of time. 30 years or more? No reason not to be in stocks. And assume a longer life. Experts recommend assuming living well into your 80s now, and having stock exposure well into your 70s or later, not converting to bonds and fixed income at 55 or 65 like in the past, since people are living until 80, 85, 90, 95 or more! I mean would you want to be in CDs starting at age 67 or so if you end up living another 25 years? Your stocks could do 15% vs 3-6% in that time frame. Heck, SAVINGS BONDS could beat that!

What do I like?

Pfizer - ridiculously cheap at $22+ per share. Some of their medication costs that much PER PILL! More boomers age, more people need medication, and they ALWAYS WILL, not to mention it's the largest drug company on the face of the earth. Has increased its dividend payouts something like every quarter for the last 55 years or more??

General Electric. Also very inexpensive, solid dividend payer as well. Makes everything from jet engines to light bulbs to consumer appliances, and everything in between.

Colgate Palmolive

Proctor & Gamble

Coca Cola

PepsiCo

Johnson & Johnson

3M

Question is, what do YOU like? Other than coins I mean... ;)

52981-2523175_060o.JPG.540603711e243ae69cfba592ffba20dc.JPG

52982-2523175_060r.JPG.6d42bbe87f02c1ee5b3bae5f945c08a8.JPG