• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three cent silver grade

16 posts in this topic

If you would, please, offer your opinions as to the grade on this 1852 Three Cent Silver coin. I'm not very astute with this issue of coins(in addition to others, I might add). Thanks for your help.

Jim

1852ThreeCentSilverInhand2.jpg

I don't have a "photo-guide" and am relying on just my experience (albeit limited) that I've had in search of a trime myself.

To me the Obv looks F-VFish.. maybe I'm wrong but attribute much of this to wear as opposed to strike.

The Rev looks XF.

Overall the coin looks un-messed (is that even a word?) with; and IMO that would help it at least market-wise.

That said, in retrospect I probably shouldn't offer up my grade opinions without more to go on.

Yeah, it looks like a weak strike on the obverse. You probably don't want to pay XF money for this coin. However, take a look how strong that rim is as well as the reverse star detail. The coin basically screams XF-wear.

According to Walter Breen:

Weak striking is common with this issue and should not be mistaken for wear.

The main reason I bought this coin was the fantastic rims and sharp lettering. I have not seen an early trime(type I) with this sharp, well struck rims. Not to say there aren't any, just that I have not seen them for sale very often in circulated condition. I have one that is almost uncirculated(although unfortunately damaged) and it still does not have the rims this one has. It just grabbed me. I have bought and sold many of these and while usually in the very good to very fine range-none were keepers. I have the AU one in my 7070 so I'll probably admire this one for a while and trade it later. Thanks for your opinions, I appreciate those always.

Jim

At least EF-40.

The flatness in the middle of the shield is due to strike. You see many of these coins in Mint State that show some weakness there. It poses a problem for the grade only when you are thinking about calling it MS-65 or higher.

I would say, compiling the grades for the two sides, that the coin is XF.

Shown is MS64, TIII coin for reference. This is the only 3CS that I still own. Note poor strike on star at 7:00. Most 3CS are poorly struck.

63-P3CS.jpg63-P3CSRev.jpg

I've said it before, but I will repeat it. These coins are typically struck with strong rims and weak centers or with strong centers and weak rims. This one obviously has strong rims and a weak center. I've seem a few MS coins with little more detail on the shield. These are tough to grade and I don't own any below AU but I'll guess this one should grade XF. However, I would wait for a better strike rather than buy this one.

Occasionally you can find one with a good strike all over. Here's one of mine that has as good of a strike as I have seen. Below that is a more typically struck coin that grades NGC MS62.

52774-1851_obv.jpg.5bd710645abd4ae78828596a4db435da.jpg

52775-1851_rev.jpg.979943b6bcdc27d6dcb4b3b0e90d1b68.jpg

52776-1852.jpg.6f9a09dcf066013844b442e2d50a2900.jpg

I really like your 1851 silver three cent piece. (thumbs u It has great eye appeal.

Another problem with this coins is that they were made from an alloy of only 75% silver and 25% copper. As a result they do not tone like the 90-10 % coins do, and the toning is often spotty and unattractive. If you are looking for a type coin, you really have to go through a lot of pieces to find a pretty original example, like your 1851.