• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok What have i missed ?

9 posts in this topic

Not that I would trust the coin to be problem free, but an AU 55 is worth around $100, and it is a better date. Maybe some desperate morgan collectors looking to save a buck or two in the hope that the coin is an Unc?

From *ahem* the PCGS website

Despite a seemingly high mintage figure, the 1886-O Morgan Silver Dollar is very scarce in Uncirculated condition and Gems are exceedingly rare. The most "common" Uncirculated grade is MS-62, followed by MS-63. Gems and Prooflikes exist but in such small quantities that they are virtually unobtainable because of the fierce competition for them. The finest examples certified by PCGS are 3 MS-65's, 3 MS-63 Prooflikes, and a single MS-67 Deep Mirror Prooflikes.

As with most Morgan Silver Dollars from the New Orleans Mint, this date often comes poorly struck. Unfortunately, the rarity of this date in Mint State prevents anyone from being too picky.

?????? thats strange when i posted the coin it was at £145 now it shows that it sold for £14.99 ???:o

Maybe the rest of the bidders were on drugs and when they realized what they had done, they withdrew their bids.

Chris

?????? thats strange when i posted the coin it was at £145 now it shows that it sold for £14.99 ???:o

Maybe the rest of the bidders were on drugs and when they realized what they had done, they withdrew their bids.

Chris

Looking at the bid history I would say the seller decided to cancel all bids. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that he couldn't cancel the auction within the last 12 hours (reserve fee avoidance precaution by ebay). So with no bids on the coin some brilliant guy steps up and snipes it for the opening bid.

I bet the winner doesn't get the coin.

It sure looks strange...On the bid history detail page, it shows that the seller cancelled all the existing bids with only 45 minutes to go in the auction. The reason given for the cancellation is Listing Error. Then the winning buyer bid with 6 seconds to go.

Usually, the only reason to cancel all bids, especially with so little time remaining, is to end the listing early due to an error in the listing. You have to cancel all the bids before you end the listing to end it without a winner. Seems like the buyer cancelled all the bids but forgot to end the listing? Definitely odd.

Usually, the only reason to cancel all bids, especially with so little time remaining, is to end the listing early due to an error in the listing. You have to cancel all the bids before you end the listing to end it without a winner. Seems like the buyer cancelled all the bids but forgot to end the listing? Definitely odd.

Like RGT said, the seller didn't realize that he couldn't end the auction during the last 12 hours. I bet the seller was shocked after he cancelled the bids to find that the auction wouldn't end and he was less than 45 minutes from the end of the auction with no bids and susceptible to a last minute snipe.