• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

terrible re-engraving job - too bad!

12 posts in this topic

In the 19th century this sort of thing was acceptable.

I have trouble believing that this extreme degree of re-engraving was ever acceptible except by a blind coin collector.

In the 19th century this sort of thing was acceptable.

I have trouble believing that this extreme degree of re-engraving was ever acceptible except by a blind coin collector.

We are talking about the period from the 1800s when there were hardly any collectors in America to perhaps the 1870s. They used to call these things "Bill Sunday coins" after the famous evangelist. I dare say those who used this nomenclature were not among Billy’s admirers. :devil:

It's quite possible that this was not at attempt to "restore" detail. My guess is the artist was simply goofing around. In other words, this might be akin to a "potty dollar".

Perhaps the artist was anticipating the “spaghetti hair” modern Washington quarter. You have to admit that they share a resemblance. ;)

It's interesting to find a seller that threatens their clients-wonder how that works for him? He threatens to take any offer at any time and close the auction to prevent sniping. Interesting approach, at the very least.