• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BST AUCTION ITEM: 1874 Seated Liberty half, G-4

23 posts in this topic

AUCTION ITEM: 1874 Seated Liberty half, G-4

k187401_.jpg

• bid opens at $.01
  • coin is not certified - grade is my opinion
  • natural, original surfaces
  • light contact marks are typical of the grade
  • coin will be shipped in an inert 2x2 mylar flip
  • you may *click* the image to view a high-resolution version

AUCTION TERMS:

• Auction ends: Monday, 2/18/2008 early morning.
  • You will receive exactly that item actually imaged and described.
  • On the honor system, please do not edit any posts or retract bids!
    Likewise, I promise not to retract this auction item.
  • Payment of check or money-order only, made out to "James Garcia".
  • Free shipping for board members, and no reserve.
  • Ten day return policy for your high bid minus shipping.
  • Authenticity unconditionally guaranteed.
  • I will almost always start my items at one cent.
  • Also, I unconditionally guarantee no shill bids.
    []
  • To bid, just post a reply to the immediate previous bidder with a message that simply says: "previous bid was $XXX, my bid is $YYY". You must bid higher than the previous poster's bid. Please, just as a general rule, keep increments around 5% or a dollar, whichever is more. We don't want to annoy our fellow board members by winning by a lousy penny.
    []
  • With variances in different time zones, plus not knowing exactly when I'll be at the computer, I can't state an exact ending time, but I expect it will be early Monday morning. Please be kind and bid early. "Sniping" isn't practical in this kind of auction venue.
    []
  • I realize that each time someone bids, this thread will bump to the top. Unfortunately, I do not know of any way around that at this time. My apologies. One way to look at it is that the best items - those that receive the most bids - will often be near the top of this forum. This is a first attempt at establishing some sort of alternate auction venue, and I'm open to any suggestions.
    []
  • NGC and its affiliates and employees are not associated with this auction, nor do they monitor its content. They cannot be held accountable for any situation that arises as a result of this sale.

Thanks for LQQKing!

Previous bid was $9.00

My bid is $10.00

Oh no, it's personal now. You stole that Peru coin from me that I wanted, you're not going to get this one, too. :devil: (Just kidding around, of course ;) )

Yeah, my bid is $12.

[*]I realize that each time someone bids, this thread will bump to the top. Unfortunately, I do not know of any way around that at this time. My apologies. One way to look at it is that the best items - those that receive the most bids - will often be near the top of this forum. This is a first attempt at establishing some sort of alternate auction venue, and I'm open to any suggestions.

Well, I for one am not crazy about this idea. The boards are not set up to be an eBay alternative. The money marketplace is set up more as a bulletin board and thus far, most people have been generally respectful of the one-bump per day convention. Your "auction" style listings will receive multiple bumps per day, forcing the regular sellers down the page.

I'm sure I'll get an earful from the usual handful of board members accusing me of being a "board cop" - I really don't care, to be honest - but I'm sure there are other sellers/buyers on the forum who agree with me. You did say that you were open to suggestions - I'd suggest finding an auction venue and not cluttering up the marketplace with these "auctions" in the future. Perhaps have all bidders PM you their bids and edit your thread with them once per day.

Respectfully,

Michael

Well, I for one am not crazy about this idea. The boards are not set up to be an eBay alternative. The money marketplace is set up more as a bulletin board and thus far, most people have been generally respectful of the one-bump per day convention. Your "auction" style listings will receive multiple bumps per day, forcing the regular sellers down the page....

Respectfully,

Michael

Michael, frankly, I agree with you, and even alluded to that in the opening post. Would it be all right if we all just agree that this is an experiment at this time (although I will honor sale of the coin if the high bidder wishes to have it), and at the conclusion, we can have a discussion about whether the idea even has any merit?

There is a chance that a whole separate forum area could be set up for as a venue for this auction idea. I appreciate and respect your opinion, as well as your courage for being willing to state it.

I do believe there just simply must be an acceptable alternative to eBay.

Heck, James - I certainly didn't mean that you ought to cut short this particular auction (although reading my post again, I can see how you might have gotten the wrong idea). By all means, finish what you started. I don't necessarily think the idea has no merit; I just think it interferes with this particular forum. Perhaps a subforum could be created for auction-style posts - that would work fine and I'd probably participate there if one existed.

Perhaps a subforum could be created for auction-style posts - that would work fine and I'd probably participate there if one existed.

I think if the idea catches on and we get enough people interested, this solution would be pretty good. In the recent discussion, Arch even suggested this, and pointed to a similar feature on the comic side of things.

I don't think that you understood the point I was trying to make, but if you re-read my post, I'm sure you will. You can PM me if you don't - but I don't want to clutter up James' post with further discussion.

In any case, I believe the bid is currently Ez_E at $20?

I don't think that you understood the point I was trying to make, but if you re-read my post, I'm sure you will. You can PM me if you don't - but I don't want to clutter up James' post with further discussion.

In any case, I believe the bid is currently Ez_E at $20?

Hi Michael. I got your point, and I'm glad you voiced it! I'm looking forward to your support in helping me solicit the good folks at NGC for a subforum dedicated to these types of auctions.

Please, let's keep the auction discussion going! I'm enjoying the comments. The bids help too lol !

If I understand correctly-Ez_E has the high bid of $20-If so I will offer a bid of $22.

You are the winner! You can send me a check or M/O to:

James Garcia

P0 Box 7I4

Fenton M0 63O26

... and now, we can proceed with discussions about whether or not this type "auction" would work here on NGC.

... and now, we can proceed with discussions about whether or not this type "auction" would work here on NGC.

Are you going to start a thread in "tangents," or should we discuss it here?

Sorry to "bump" this closed auction item, but I just had to leave a very enthusiastic feedback rating of 5 stars out of 5 for Jim.

Jim, thanks for the very kind note and extra shipping dollars. I sincerely appreciate it.