• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shiny bright AU Bust coins

10 posts in this topic

Is it possible for a bust half/quarter to be bright white and untoned without being cleaned? I have read the bust halves were kept and circulated between banks as hard currency reserves since the half was the largest silver coin at the time. If they were stored tightly together, some would have little toning. Still, I think most would have toned over the years.

I have seen several bust halves and quarters in AU50 to 58 holders that are 100% bright and shinny. Have all of these been dipped? I can't stand the look! Old silver should look old.

Is it possible for a bust half/quarter to be bright white and untoned without being cleaned? I have read the bust halves were kept and circulated between banks as hard currency reserves since the half was the largest silver coin at the time. If they were stored tightly together, some would have little toning. Still, I think most would have toned over the years.

Uncleaned? Yes.

Undipped? VERY,VERY doubtful.

Old silver should look old! The series is between 170-200 years ago. It is the nature of silver to tone (tarnish). While it might be remotely possible that some coins survived as mostly white, these would be the exception and not the rule. Most have a brown, tan or grey patina from being held in storage. The TPG's do grade coins that have been properly dipped and that would account for the mostly white ones in slabs. It is doubtful they remained that way naturally.

I have no problem buying dipped encapsulated Busties. The details are certainly easier to see, especially when compared to some of the ugly black toned ones out there. Sometimes one needs to be satisfied paying a little less, and accept a flash dipped Bustie. I DO require sufficient luster for the stated grade.

It is a "to-each-his-own" sort of thing. Many do not like toning. I prefer mine to look old. I do not mind excessive black toning, or heavy toning that tends to "hide" luster. To me, if a coin is old, it should look its age. Unfortunately, there was an extended period of time where every coin that made an appearance got "the treatment", so unmessed coins are not all that common. It does kinda make the hunt a little more fun...

I have seen several bust halves and quarters in AU50 to 58 holders that are 100% bright and shinny. Have all of these been dipped? I can't stand the look! Old silver should look old.

Yes, they have been dipped, but dipped coins don't me as much as they other collectors. This reduced size Bust quarter is an NGC AU-58. It's been dipped and the looked fine to me. For a fair price I'll buy coins like this and enjoy them.

1831QuarterO.jpg1831QuarterR.jpg

The only 19th century silver coins that are 100% white and 100% original are Morgan dollars. Those coins were stored in mint bags away from the air and did not tone. Almost all other 19th silver coins, even if they are in Mint State were stored in ways that resulted in toning.

It would be a rare bird, indeed, if any of those coins had not been dipped. Some folks do not mind this while others do everything they can to avoid it. I am in the latter camp though I see nothing wrong with being in the former.

Wow Bill, your 1831 quarter looks decent for an all white bust coin. The reverse looks unc with just a touch of rub on Liberty's face. It is a true AU58. I saw others in AU50 holders with heavy hairlines from circulation or old cleanings. Then they were overdipped and had flat luster. Others were shiny bright without the luster.

Here is an 1824 half that I like. The toning is old but not so dark as to hide the coin.

52641-1824halfobv.JPG.5c5ce53b9c184585232fdbc85b09f89b.JPG

52642-1824halfrev.JPG.f22a3177180c40d01bbfcda2152e4470.JPG

A lot of the AU Bust halves that we think are original were actually dipped 50 or 100 or even 150 years ago and have since completely retoned. It's very hard and sometimes impossible to identify total originality, and many virtually original coins are far from it, but what does it matter if you can't tell!

And further, what does that say about today's crop of freshly dipped coins?