• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade opinions on these Mint Set Frankies......please

9 posts in this topic

Just picked up a 1956 Double Mint set and the Frankie look pretty clean. Under normal viewing I thought at least one of them was a shot 67.....neither are FBL. Under higher magnification with the blown up images there are certainly some ticks on both coins but most are not in prime focal areas so......if you are a collector of frankies and you have an opinion on what these would grade.......I would love to here it. Thanks (thumbs u

Coin #1

EbaySales009.jpg

EbaySales007.jpg

Coin #2

EbaySales011.jpg

EbaySales014.jpg

Both coins will be going to NGC shortly regardless so it will be interesting to see what the grade concensus will be from forum members. My opinion is that both coins are a minimum of MS66......just not sure if I may luck out on one of them and get the coveted 67 :wishluck:

* Not completely sure about the FBL part as I have never been good at determining..... hm

my initial reaction is that coin #1 is MS66 it is quite attractive. Coin #2 though is tougher. It has a few visable ticks on the chin/neck, behind the head, and on the reverse above Pass. Both coins are very nice looking, congratulations on the purchase.

Both are quite nice, and in my opinion both have a decent shot at 66 given the way the TPGs grade. I personally wouldn't give the first one any higher than 65 given the strike. The second has a little bit better strike, I guess it would be 66. Neither are FBL.

I brought out a few of my frankies to look at b4 I formed an opinion...it appears as if my 66's have those same small ticks under high magnification...yours may have even less..I think they are exceptionally clean and honestly have a shot at 67 depending on the weight they give for eye appeal--which yours have lots of...nice finds..

Both are nice coins. Number two may rate a MS67 in my book, based on what I can see of it's luster, nice color and surfaces. Both coins have nice toning.