• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EarlyBird grading coupon crossovers, NCS to NGC

5 posts in this topic

Question to pose:

I have some coins in holders, primary from ANACS, and even from PCGS, that I wanted to submit for crossover service to NGC.

Frankly though, they're older coins, and some, I think, could probably benefit from conservation services from NCS.

These include items like a:

1852 Liberty Half Eagle $5 (AU50) - PCGS

1883-O Morgan Silver Dollar (I don't even want to NAME the grading company)

1879-Liberty Head Quarter Eagle $2.50, ANACS (AU58)

1904-O Morgan Silver Dollar - ANACS (MS62)

1897 Liberty Head Double Eagle $20 - ANACS (AU58)

I may vary them, or add others on another invoice, but the notion is this:

May I submit the coins to NCS for conservation, and then for encapsulation/grading to NGC using my 5 EarlyBird coupon?

I guess I don't just want to send them to NGC for Crossover service with the EarlyBird coupon, just to get them back in whatever grades, only to THEN send them to NCS to conserve them and try to "upgrade" them back to NGC, know what I mean?

And since most of my other coins are modern, using the EarlyBird coupon on these coins is really the best way to maximize it for me.

Therefore, if I could use the coupon on a submission from NCS going to NGC, that would be idea.

Thoughts?

The answer to your question is an easy one. Yes, you may include your NGC Collectors' Society coupon with your submission to NCS. When we transfer your coins for NGC certification, your coupon will be applied to those NGC charges. The only potential drawback to using your NGC coupon is that you would not be able to receive any change for the coupon. If, say, 3 of your coins are conserved and graded with NGC, you would not be able to receive a credit for the other 2 coins your coupon is good for.

Chris, NCS

The answer to your question is an easy one. Yes, you may include your NGC Collectors' Society coupon with your submission to NCS. When we transfer your coins for NGC certification, your coupon will be applied to those NGC charges. The only potential drawback to using your NGC coupon is that you would not be able to receive any change for the coupon. If, say, 3 of your coins are conserved and graded with NGC, you would not be able to receive a credit for the other 2 coins your coupon is good for.

Chris, NCS

Follow up question then:

Would it then behoove me to submit MORE THAN five coins on my NCS invoice, or submit more than one NCS invoice? So that at least five coins could be submitted to NGC for crossover? Of course, the remainder would follow my instructions at NCS, whether to be conserved, returned, or slabbed as genuine vs. "details" grade, etc.

Or is that not allowed?

I mean I have PLENTY of coins I was going to submit to NCS, and ultimately I was going to include at least SOME of them in the same box anyway, as many as I could afford at the time of my submission anyway...

Some old Morgans, some Peace Dollars, and maybe even some moderns that could benefit, like some "cloudy" or otherwise unattractively toned Ikes. I think I saw in another posting that NCS has had some good luck on some Ikes.

Chris, NCS

Follow up question then:

Would it then behoove me to submit MORE THAN five coins on my NCS invoice, or submit more than one NCS invoice? So that at least five coins could be submitted to NGC for crossover? Of course, the remainder would follow my instructions at NCS, whether to be conserved, returned, or slabbed as genuine vs. "details" grade, etc.

Or is that not allowed?

I mean I have PLENTY of coins I was going to submit to NCS, and ultimately I was going to include at least SOME of them in the same box anyway, as many as I could afford at the time of my submission anyway...

Some old Morgans, some Peace Dollars, and maybe even some moderns that could benefit, like some "cloudy" or otherwise unattractively toned Ikes. I think I saw in another posting that NCS has had some good luck on some Ikes.

Ultimately, here is what I am trying to avoid:

Losing the coupon, or part of it (as you just mentioned)

Paying for extra shipping back and forth from NGC to me and then to NCS (or vice versa) when they are in the same building.

Chris, NCS

I sent a follow-up question a few days ago, but there was no response, and I am wondering if follow-ups don't work, and if I need to create a new subject, so I thought I'd try again first.

This makes me then want to ask:

1. With this potential drawback, it begs the question, should I (may I) submit MORE than 5 coins to NCS on the invoice (or on MORE THAN ONE invoice), so that NCS will have AT LEAST 5 coins to submit to NGC using the EarlyBird Tier 5-coin coupon?

2. Or is this not allowed?

3. Can multiple coins be mixed on the same order form? In other words, trying to account for the potential pitfall you mention, and knowing I have WAY more than 5 coins I want to submit to NCS, the 5 I mentioned were just handy, and I could easily come up with at least 5-10 more (and if I looked, could probably come up with 50 more without trying hard at all), can more than 5 coins be put on the invoice so that NCS can maximize my submission to NGC?

4. The reality is this: With NGC and NCS being sister companies, being in the same building and all, the idea of paying shipping to and from NCS or to and from NGC FIRST, just to avoid a pitfall of going to NGC from NCS seems ridiculous, if I can avoid it by including more coins. Admittedly, some of the rules and procedures are a bit tedious, and while trying to follow them to the letter, we as members are also trying to maximize our services while minimizing costs. Sometimes, "procedure" seems to be designed to maximize cost (especially when NGC doesn't follow it's own procedure, but that's a separate story), without maximizing efficiency, and in those instances, I have trouble understanding the purpose.