• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Your Home a Burglar's Dream?

1 post in this topic

With all the discussion in another thread about the collector who had been robbed some time ago, but then saw one of his items show up on eBay, all sorts of things come to mind.

In that thread, I already posted some basic home security ideas.

Further, the idea that the collector had kept an inventory of the serial numbers of his coins clearly proved that doing so can make a difference in recovery, even years later! Thus, let is serve as a reminder to those of us who may be remiss about such tedious chores.

When logging on to AOL today, I saw a headline that caught my eye, and while the information is basic, a few basic tips are a good start...

Here's the link to some basic tips and some startling facts about home security:

http://realestate.aol.com/photo-galleries/improve/home-safety-tips?pg=1

I guess the point is that we can learn from the past, and hopefully be better prepared ourselves.

I happen to like the motion sensor light idea that is mentioned -- and not just outdoors if that's what anyone is thinking. They have them for INDOOR lamps, you plug them into a socket, then plug a lamp into the sensor. Heavy thumps, opening a door, or even a KNOCK at the door will generally trigger the lamp to go on. HSN sells them (in fact, after posting this, I just saw them on the "Home Security" show preview after midnight 2/13/2008, ET), but I am sure they are not alone. Regular lamp timers are widely available as well.

For a more mellow approach, there are also FLAMELESS candles, which are actually LED lights within them, and get half a dozen of them around a room or two, and they cast a LOT of light. Some models have timers, to run for 5 hours (or something like that) after they are turned on, and then turn on at the same time every day. QVC sells a wide variety of those, some without timers, obviously the timer is what makes them appealing as a nifty feature when you aren't around, to go one and off at the same time (or set different ones at different times), though I am sure available elsewhere.

After all, who'd leave their house with candles burning? The batteries last a LONG time, and they are actual wax candles, just with no flame and can be put right onto a mantle or any piece of furniture, safely. It really does help give an illusion of someone being home.