• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is most of the demand for the 1922-plain wheat 1c fueled mainly by album holes?

8 posts in this topic

Is most of the demand for the 1922-plain wheat cent fueled mainly by album holes?

In other words, if Lincoln cent albums (e.g., Danscos) didn't include the hole, would there be as much demand for the coin? Would prices be as high?

Discuss...

That is a most definite! To sell a product, one must first create the demand. Since most albums have a slot for the three-legged buff, there continues to be huge demands and premiums for this coin. (Personally, the coin merely shows me proof of shoddy workmanship when the worker over polished the dies.)

If the matte finished coins of the '90's were required in the modern sets then the 1998 matte finish Kennedy with a mintage just a tad over 60,000 would be a thousand dollar coin at least. The '97 & '94 Jeffersons would demand a huge premium as well.

If a space was made for the high/low leafs for the Wisconsin state quarter then prices would rise on those, as well.

The registries basically do the same thing. There are waaaay too many Seated Liberty slots to be filled. Personally, all of the arrows & rays don't tickle my underbelly like the no stars type does. But, one must play to complete the set. There's something in our nature as collectors that we must complete our given series (or give a darn good effort at doing so).

So, to answer the original question, YES, the slots create demand with a phenomenal increase in its value.

Is most of the demand for the 1922-d partically filled die wheat cent fueled mainly by album holes?

YES.................................................................

Yes, the 1922 Plain cent is nothing but a die state and does not deserve to have hole for the piece in the conventional Lincoln cent album. Other dies states that are even more dramatic don't get anywhere near that much attention.

Years ago, the late Tom Lacey, who as a dealer loved and specialzied in 20th century coins, brought up this point. There could be other "Plain" coins out there from the 1920s. Given the low quality of the dies that the branch mints often were forced to used during that period for Lincoln cents and Buffalo nickels, other coins could out there with the mint mark area filled or polished off the coin. Yet no one would ever really know notice because all they would see would be poorly struck, unattractive coins.

In 1922 it's a fact that only the Denver mint struck cents. Therefore the 1922 "Plain" could not be a Philadelphia mint coin. That's why collectors noticed the coin.

I also whole heartedly agree. I am a classic example of a series collector that tends to fill the holes. I have Dansco albums therefore I have not searched out the 55 or 72 double die. I understand the Whitman has holes for those, so those collectors may fuel demand for those coins.

The same comments can be said for the registries when it comes to having holes that create demand. In this case the hole not only must be filled, but it must be filled with a high grade, often expensive coin.