• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Grades- one good, one bad

7 posts in this topic

After many patient weeks finally got some grades back, two morgans in particular. The 84 CC I thought 63 with an outside shot at 64, it made 64. The 82 S was very dissappointing though. I thought a very strong 65 with a good chance at 66, it made 64 also.

The 84 CC

1884ccOBV.jpg

1884ccREV.jpg

The 82 S, although maybe darker toned than some like has a very rich look. I checked this one pretty closely with a lighted 2x glass, two small hits on the cheek, one on the neck, but extremely clean fields obverse and reverse, just a couple of very minor ticks in front of the portrait.

1882sobv2.jpg

1882srev1.jpg

I'll look it over closely when it arrives to see what I've missed, if someone sees something in the images please speak up. By the way, these are the $3 images from NGC and they look pretty good to me, certainly better than I have been able to do.

I like both the CC and the S coin. I really like the 82-S better but as has been said, darker coins do not get the better grades even though they are probably more original. From the appearance of the picture, the 83-S looks MS65!

It just goes to show that the grading services rewarded dipped/conserved coins vs. their original counterparts. :sorry:
I don't know EZ,, The CC's have always gotten a break and to me the other pic is so dark and small I wouldn't be able to hazzard a guess as to what it might grade.. hm

I was reading a Book titled " ANA Grading standards" and part of their grading applies to how much of the original luster of the coin remains.

Could that be the reason for their dislike of the darker coins?