• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Kennedy Half.

8 posts in this topic

I was cleaning out a Safety deposit box a few months ago and found an Album with what appears to be a mixture of Kennedys from 1964 to the 70s and some are duplicates.

None are labeled and I was looking in the Registry here. The Registry lists a 1965,1966 and 1967 SMS.

I have a 1965, 1966 and a 1967 in what appears to be a mirror like finish and a 1965,1966 and 1967 that look in good shape but have a flat dull like circulated look.

Several others look Proof but appear to have the "s" mintmark and after the year 1968 if I am not mistaken.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Is there a question in there somewhere?

SMS sets were made for all intents and purposes in 1965, 1966, and 1967 (1964, too but they're extraordinarily rare). The SMS coins are found with PL fields and sometimes even cameo frost, much the same as proof coins from this era.

Kennedies during this time were also made in Business strikes. This could explain the 2 different finishes you have.

Does that answer your question?

I figured that SMS stood for Special Mint Sets.My understanding was that these Special Mint sets contain more than one coin so these Kennedys must have been broken out of the sets.

They are definitely shinier and look more like Proofs as compared to the others of the same date that look like a dull circulated coin.

My problem was that I wasn't sure how to list them when submitting to NGC.There is no mintmark on any of the six coins.

So when I am submitting these coins to NGC then I would put " Mint State" and the Philadelphia Mint or "P".?

Thanks

No coins from 1965, 66, or 67 have mintmarks. The Coinage Act of 1965 eliminated them to combat what the government saw as the reason for the on going coin shortage, coin collectors hoarding coins with different mintmarks. The law eliminated the mintmarks for a period of five years. Fortunately a later law restored them two years early.

They are behind the Plastic in the Album but they stand out in Comparison to the other coins and at first glance I thought they were Proofs because of the mirror like look.

Thnks