• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A New Challenge.............

5 posts in this topic

My latest endeavor has been my Dansco 7070. I think a type set used to be a challenge, but with todays online world with Ebay, various other auctions, virtual store fronts, plus the older methods such as shows and B/M shops, it's really not much of a challenge. If you had the means, I bet you could put together a 7070 in 2 months or less.

I was thinking last night what would be good twist on this to make it more difficult and rewarding at the same time. What I came up with is trying to put together a 7070 with nothing but those old Anacs Photo certificate coins. Now I think that would be a challenge. How difficult do you think it would be?

Pretty hard i would think

I have been trying to fill my 7070 with all the "first" year of the coin (IE Draped bust 1800, classic head 1809 etc) and has been very hard even with eBay well unless i had a couple of million pounds to spare.

has any one got a full set of first dated in there 7070 ?

A lot of trouble I should think ...

A lot of coins have been separated from the ANACS papers. About the only coins you see sold with them these days are problem pieces that some how got a clean bill of health from ANACS.

I once saw an 1805 dime that had VF ANACS papers. In the photo it looked like a problem free early coin, but the coin now had a big acid mark on it. hm The photo of the coin on the ANACS papers matched up otherwise, so what happened?

A lot of trouble I should think ...

A lot of coins have been separated from the ANACS papers. About the only coins you see sold with them these days are problem pieces that some how got a clean bill of health from ANACS.

I once saw an 1805 dime that had VF ANACS papers. In the photo it looked like a problem free early coin, but the coin now had a big acid mark on it. hm The photo of the coin on the ANACS papers matched up otherwise, so what happened?

There are problem free examples out there, I've purchased 3 or 4 over the last 6 months, with the latest being that 1879 S Morgan I just won a few days ago. It won't be easy for sure, but each slot should bring a level of satifaction much higher than just filling them with any coin.

JJ

It seems like you would really limit yourself as to what could go into your type set if you follow that plan. The 7070 is trivial if you simply want to put coins into it regardless of originality, eye appeal or grade. However, if you want choice coins that appear original and are rather attractive it is still a tough nut to crack.