• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A New SBA type designation - 1979-s - MS coin

5 posts in this topic

Yes I am still going through *SPOON* before my operation. It was and is a daunting task to finally go through a load of coinage that you put aside to research later. I found a possible PROOFLIKE George Washington Dollar which I posted previously.

This anomolie was found after I had searched through 50-75 SBA Mint sets looking for the illusive primo candidates for MY collection. I had put this coin aside as I didn't think it belong where I found it, in a 1979 SBA Mint set. I though it odd that it had mirrored fields. I first thought that I open a proof set ( NO _ those are incased in plastic ) these were the Mint set folders. At that time I put it aside in a flip until today.

This coin is a MINT state coin - 65/66 might even squeek a 67 however this coin has mirrored fields - Great Strike for a MS coin (full talons) and absolutely NO Frosted devices at all. The pictures are of a straight on shot so you can see - It defintely is a Mint State Coin. The second picture is angled so you can see it its reflective surfaces. This is a TYPE ONE coin with the blob 's'

After doing research here - there have been NO PL designated coins previous to 1999 - which there are a couple.

Could this be the first of a new variety - PROOFLIKE for '79 ??? Your thoughts

52523-SBA1.jpg.f959f6b9e96f944ef144be69b6935b83.jpg

52524-SBA2.jpg.c9701b3c2ede92d2b478da1488fd015e.jpg