• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this?

7 posts in this topic

I found this in my Dads collection of odds and ends and have no clue whether its a coin or a medal. Can anyone help me out? :cool: Thank you it is much appreciated. It weighs 9 gramsor .3 oz and has a diameter of 28mm or 1 1/8 inch.

RIMG0180.jpg

RIMG0181.jpg

I found this in my Dads collection of odds and ends and have no clue whether its a coin or a medal. Can anyone help me out? :cool: Thank you it is much appreciated. It weighs 9 gramsor .3 oz and has a diameter of 28mm or 1 1/8 inch.

RIMG0180.jpg

RIMG0181.jpg

Hi there you coin looks like a Morocco 4 Falus C# 166.1

Cast bronze . Minted in Fez size range 27-29mm and should be 11.5400g

the date AH1289 is during the rain of Sidi Mohammed IV Ah1276-1290 which equates to 1859-1873 (about) 1872 for your coin.

you say it is 9.3g so it is either a lightweight or a contemporary forgery in my opinion

hope this helps dooly :devil:

As pointed out, the Star of David is an immediate give away for Morocco. (The only other country to use it regularly is, of course, Israel, but the Arabic -script precludes that). It may be a forgery, I really don't know how often these were counterfeited, but it looks cool nonetheless. I am going to lean towards fake, just because the look seems off to me. These are usually found in pretty crummy shape, but this one looks odd. These are relatively low value, you see them on Ebay all the time.

As pointed out, the Star of David is an immediate give away for Morocco. (The only other country to use it regularly is, of course, Israel, but the Arabic -script precludes that). It may be a forgery, I really don't know how often these were counterfeited, but it looks cool nonetheless. I am going to lean towards fake, just because the look seems off to me. These are usually found in pretty crummy shape, but this one looks odd. These are relatively low value, you see them on Ebay all the time.

I have looked further in to this and found this information:

Underweight 6.00g or less with mint-names of Fes or marrakesh, or with illegible inscriptions and dates are contemporary forgeries often with smaller diameters..

so my opinion now would be that it is a real one

dooly :devil:

Thanks for all of the information. I appreciate the sharing of knowledge here so much. Dooly, my Dad was an English paratrooper during WWII so I am guessing he picked this up on one of his adventures :) Thans for helping me to catalog this as I wasn't sure if it was junk, a token, a medal, a button???? or a coin. Mystery solved :golfclap: