• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FYI the ngc star designation

7 posts in this topic

IF you are submitting certain coins for Designation Review service, you may, depending on the coin, also get them re-holdered with a "First Year of Issue" label slab, or vice versa (Submitting it for a First Year of Issue label, get it reviewed for a Star Designation). There are many coins that qualify for the First Year of Issue label, going back to 1793 and as recently as 2007.

When I read about NGC's announcement to changes in their Star Designation policy, I thought about their policy of charging $10 for a Designation Review for the First Year of Issue labels for a coin already slabbed by NGC, and made an inquiry to them.

It seems that you can "double-dip." Since it is, in fact, Designation Review, if the coin is a First Year of Issue qualifying coin, and you're paying for Designation Review at $10, you can ask NGC to review for the Star Designation, AND put the coin in an NGC "First Year of Issue" holder at the same time.

Sure, some will mock the First Year of Issue holders, but they are attractive, and will probably have some appeal to some collectors on the secondary market. If I am submitting coins for the first time, say a 1964 Kennedy, I'll admit that I am opting for the Modern Special Tier at $15 to get the First Year of Issue label. Doing the math, it's $15, less 10% discount, so it's $13.50 to get the "special label" right off the bat. Is it "worth" anything more, technically not. But might it attract a buyer who is deciding between that one and a comparable coin? hm

So the rest of the math is that Modern Tier would be $12.50, less 10% at $11.25, which makes it a nominal charge of $2.25 to get the First Year of Issue Label up front.

Is the nice label worth it on a 2006 Gold Buffalo? On a 1986 Eagle? On a 1964 Kennedy? A 1921 Peace? 1878 Morgan? Or so many others? (link to list below) Will a collector later choose your that coin over someone else's because of it? Probably too soon to tell. People buy Early Releases though, and First Strike coins, and other "Special Labels." There are collectors who specialize in them. 2c

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/earlyrelease.asp#link4

Complete list of eligible coins:

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/firstyeardate.asp

IF you are submitting certain coins for Designation Review service, you may, depending on the coin, also get them re-holdered with a "First Year of Issue" label slab, or vice versa (Submitting it for a First Year of Issue label, get it reviewed for a Star Designation). There are many coins that qualify for the First Year of Issue label, going back to 1793 and as recently as 2007.

When I read about NGC's announcement to changes in their Star Designation policy, I thought about their policy of charging $10 for a Designation Review for the First Year of Issue labels for a coin already slabbed by NGC, and made an inquiry to them.

It seems that you can "double-dip." Since it is, in fact, Designation Review, if the coin is a First Year of Issue qualifying coin, and you're paying for Designation Review at $10, you can ask NGC to review for the Star Designation, AND put the coin in an NGC "First Year of Issue" holder at the same time.

Sure, some will mock the First Year of Issue holders, but they are attractive, and will probably have some appeal to some collectors on the secondary market. If I am submitting coins for the first time, say a 1964 Kennedy, I'll admit that I am opting for the Modern Special Tier at $15 to get the First Year of Issue label. Doing the math, it's $15, less 10% discount, so it's $13.50 to get the "special label" right off the bat. Is it "worth" anything more, technically not. But might it attract a buyer who is deciding between that one and a comparable coin? hm

So the rest of the math is that Modern Tier would be $12.50, less 10% at $11.25, which makes it a nominal charge of $2.25 to get the First Year of Issue Label up front.

Is the nice label worth it on a 2006 Gold Buffalo? On a 1986 Eagle? On a 1964 Kennedy? A 1921 Peace? 1878 Morgan? Or so many others? (link to list below) Will a collector later choose your that coin over someone else's because of it? Probably too soon to tell. People buy Early Releases though, and First Strike coins, and other "Special Labels." There are collectors who specialize in them. 2c

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/earlyrelease.asp#link4

Complete list of eligible coins:

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/firstyeardate.asp

Yes, you can request as many designations as you want for 1 Designation Review fee.

I want to see NGC expand thier definition of the star so we can see some criteria on how a circulated coin will be judged. Am I the only one?