• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submiting to NGC

4 posts in this topic

I found a really nice 1988 D Quarter today. It was REALLY nice. It looked like it just came from the mint and had never been circulated.

Now being that I have never submited anything over to be graded I was wondering if it would be a good, or bad idea to have it graded. Now I know it was circulated, yet it appears that it never has been. Forgive my ignorance, but what chances would I have of having a coin such as this reaching a MS grade?

Forgive me for my questions. I am trying to do all of my research by scouting online before asking questions.

Thank you,

Keith

hi there keith

i would need to see thecoin in hand sight seen to let you know

if the coin is truly a choice++ to gem example it would be worthwile to submit

grading and eye appeal is extremely subjective but there is a good chance to be able to advise you BUT ONLY IF THE COIN CAN BE SIGHT SEEN BY A NUMISMATIST who can then give you an educated opinion

if you posted a photo on here a really good photo of the coin so wear and surfaces can be seen then someone might?? be able to give you a guesstimate

as nothing short of sight seen evaulation would be meaningful

I found a really nice 1988 D Quarter today. It was REALLY nice. It looked like it just came from the mint and had never been circulated.

Now being that I have never submited anything over to be graded I was wondering if it would be a good, or bad idea to have it graded. Now I know it was circulated, yet it appears that it never has been. Forgive my ignorance, but what chances would I have of having a coin such as this reaching a MS grade?

Forgive me for my questions. I am trying to do all of my research by scouting online before asking questions.

Thank you,

Keith

H Keith, even if the coin graded MS65, it's value would not justify the cost of submission and postage. In answer to your other question, if a coin has been very briefly circulated but does not show signs of that, it could certainly be awarded an MS grade. The graders don't know the history of the coin and must assign a grade based on it's actual appearance, lack of apparent wear, etc.

Exactly. I don't know the value off the top of my head for a 1988 D quarter but it is going to cost $12.50 for grading fees in the Modern Tier and this assumes that you submit a minumum of 5 coins at least four others would have to be submitted.

This is my problem as I have all the Proof sets from 1968 and all the Mint sets from 1970 in OGP. Some of them are just in the OGP but are in white envelopes that are starting to fall apart..

I have decided to eventually cherry pick the more valuable ones to be graded and to put the others that won't justify the grading fees in an album/s