• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report- Melville, NY

6 posts in this topic

I’ve always seem them and liked reading them so I will make my modest attempt at a coin show report.

The Melville show is a bi-monthly show in Long Island, NY. The show usually carries about 20 coin dealers as well as the usual contention of stamps and currency tables. This happened to be a good weekend as some dealers are gearing up the Baltimore show. Trading and buying were active pursuits along the floor. I took a couple of silver rounds to trade, just to show my YN that sometimes you can trade in the old for the new. In the past, when I’ve bought rounds I always try to buy them with interesting Americana designs. My thinking is that they become a little more liquid when time to sell. In this case they all had nice eagle designs and sure enough one dealer bought them at 5% under spot. With a little cash in hand we set out to find our prizes for the day.

The coins offered at the show are basic and very rarely go higher then a few thousand dollars. This makes it a great show for the intermediate collector, who can easily find many many coins within the 50 to 300 dollar price range. I saw several nicely-toned, high grade buffalo nickels. One 1918/7 graded 45 by NGC was the real showstopper for me. In my limited experience it was one of the clearest overdates I’ve ever seen up close and personal. One other coin that stood out for me was a 1926 Standing Liberty Quarter… common year in an uncommon grade. NGC 67 and not a trace of color to it. I’m not a big fan of wonder grades in common issues but this is one spectacular-looking coin. As a side note, how does a 67 not get a FH is beyond me, but so it was.

The young Dcoin and I were looking to fill as many holes as we could and still come out under budget. We have been plugging away at a 20th century set and early Kennedy half’s. We did nicely with the half’s and filled 25 holes. Dcoin senior finally filled the spot titled 1917-s in his buffalo nickel collection. I would have never guessed it would have taken so long to fill it with a clear-date, half-horn example for less than 100 dollars. Mission accomplished. On the 20th century type set we bought a 1907 AU IHC, which had plenty of original red shinning through. I always thought that anything below 62 would be as brown as a Hershey’s Kiss. Live and learn. I was also pleasantly surprised at the 15-dollar price tag, especially with the nice even RB color.

Those that have visited a coin show with a VYN (Very Young Numismatist™- 6 and under) you know that collector focus goes right out the window. With that said we are now the proud owners of everything from Israeli Liras to an unusual cast copy Kennedy medallion. Not to mention a 110mm bronze medal of Eunice Kennedy that looks remarkable like Woody Alan?

It was a good Sunday.

Great report, Dave. Sounds like you and your YN had a ball!

Shows like the one you described are the kind I like to attend. I can buy a sack full of Mississippi tokens and coins, and still have money left over for a nice meal on the way home. :)

Where in Melville is this show and when is it usually held?

I may be on Long Island in April and would drop by if it will be the weekend I will be there.

THANKS!

Scott :hi:

Where in Melville is this show and when is it usually held?

I may be on Long Island in April and would drop by if it will be the weekend I will be there.

THANKS!

Scott :hi:

hey Scott... the show takes place on the second and last Sunday of the month. If you need directions you can always PM.