• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new Morgan from today's coin show

7 posts in this topic

I have been looking for just the right Morgan for my type set for quite some time now, and found this one at today's coin show. The colors are much more vibrant in person.

SSCN0979.JPG

SSCN0982.JPG

cloud9.gif

It looks like a nicely toned, end roll piece. smile.gif Is that a little bit of magenta and purple in the head piece? Also, is the hairline scratch, from the end of the mouth toward the ear, on the cheek or on the holder?

I also only have one Morgan and it is also in my type set. However, it is only graded MS64 and I am terrified because someone is trying desperately to pry it from my hands! 893whatthe.gif I'm afraid to hear from him what he will offer next time I see him. 893whatthe.gif

It looks like a nicely toned, end roll piece. smile.gif Is that a little bit of magenta and purple in the head piece? Also, is the hairline scratch, from the end of the mouth toward the ear, on the cheek or on the holder?

I also only have one Morgan and it is also in my type set. However, it is only graded MS64 and I am terrified because someone is trying desperately to pry it from my hands! 893whatthe.gif I'm afraid to hear from him what he will offer next time I see him. 893whatthe.gif

Tom,

There is actually quite a bit of magenta and darker purple in the head piece and hair. There is also a bright patch of these same colors along with a bright yellow and gold that engulf the U and the R in PLURIBUS. I just couldn't capture them properly in my picture. One of these days I'll figure out how to photograph toned coins. The colors you see here, are subdued compared to viewing it "live". laugh.gif The line you mentioned is on the holder. This coin is graded MS65 by NGC.

I agree 100% with Tom, I'd bet for sure it was a roll ender. It was the first thing that came to mind, and within milliseconds, when I saw it. Very beautful tones. I'd say you made a fine selection. thumbsup2.gif