• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A challenging - Guess the grade

8 posts in this topic

Here is an 1807 O-106 DBH

Looking at this one you can immediately see that the obverse and reverse dies don't exactly match in terms of strike/wear.

Care to try throwing a grade at her?

I will show a diagnostic pic of the variety- the upper berry is half buried in the leaf and the lowest berry is between the serifs of the A in AMERICA.

Let me add that the reverse is an earlier die state and does not exhibit ANY of the die cracks described by Overton as being seen on most specimens.

1807O-106obv.jpg

1807O-106rev.jpg

1807O-106berr.jpg

Wow...that IS interesting. I am wondering if either term "worn obverse die" or "weak strike" comes into play here? but the obverse sure looks like just plain wear.

RI AL

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Let me add that this is the third use of this obverse die.

Information given me indicates the Leaman/Gunnet emission order for 1807 draped bust halves is 108, 109, 110, 105, 107, 106, 101, 102, 104, 103, and then recently discovered 115 at the end.

This obverse die was used to produce the 105, 106 and 107 obverses. The order indicates it was first used on the 105 then the 107 and finally on this 106 marriage. So this appears to be the third use of this obverse die resulting in its weakness and shallowness of design. The die just did not have the meat on its bones to strike up a strong obverse.

So in my humble opinion, the obverse of this coin wore the same way/amount as the reverse of this coin. Really interesting stuff and an example of why grading these beauties is very challenging indeed.

In a direct quote by CU board member Nysoto, whose opinion in my eyes is equivalent to liquid gold when it comes to these DBH's, he highlights the challenge of grading these pieces.

"The Westmoreland 1807 O.109b was graded F15 by PCGS, but was earlier graded raw EF40 by Sheridan Downey, known for conservative grading. It has luster in protected areas. Grading 1807 DBH's is a challenge!"

Very true words.

This is a solid 40, but I doubt that it would slab as that. That obverse die had already been used on two other DM's before this one. Another example of what I was talking about in the thread on "Grades are grades."

Edit to add: Maybe I should read the other responses before typing my own. And yes, Bill's (Nysoto) one of the kings when talking about the draped bust series.