• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do the people at the US Mint know anything about coins?

10 posts in this topic

Now, I had a bad experience recently buying some supplies from a "mint named" place, and the phone reps clearly had never collected coins before, nor used any of the supplies, and even told me so.

Today though, after reading some posts here on the boards about the US Mint being unable to fulfill orders for several weeks due to "severe weather" in the area of their warehouse, I visited their web site to see for myself, and to check on my orders to see if any had "made it out."

At the same time, I saw what is auspiciously being hailed as a new product:

"American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin (BA3)"

This is where things go awry.

Even though I am about to tell you what is missing, check it out for yourself.

After reading and re-reading the Mint's description of this rather expensive numismatic item, I was left with a couple of questions:

1. Is this a PROOF coin or a Mint State/Uncirculated coin?

2. What is the Mint Mark of this coin? Where is it produced?

Normally, that is mentioned, I mean, is the Mint NEW at this thing, this "selling coins" thing? rantrant

So, I figure I will call and ask. I call today, 1-800-USA-MINT, it sounds so reassuring, just the letters to reach them, doesn't it?

They even have a prompt that if you're calling about the American Buffalo Celebration Coin, press whatever - a special prompt, clearly, they are aware of this coin, or are they? hm

I speak to a representative, who shall remain nameless to protect the not-so-innocent. I ask JUST my first question:

Q: "I read the web site description very thoroughly, but it didn't specify, is this a Proof coin or a Mint State coin?"

A: "Neither. It's a BULLION coin."

Me: "I realize that the Gold Buffalo is a BULLION coin, it has been since it was introduced in 2006, but the question is whether this version being offered is the PROOF version, or a MINT STATE/UNCIRCULATED version." "A bullion coin," I said, "can be either proof or mint state."

Representative: "Well, this one is neither. It says so right on this paper. The paper says it is a BULLION coin."

Me: [in very a calm voice] "You don't know very much about coins, do you? Because the two are not mutually exclusive."

NOTE: I said this in a very calm voice because once, recently, when a representative at the US Mint Product Ordering Service recently refused to transfer me to a supervisor for a task that he could not complete, he told me "Oh, so you're going to be difficult about this." I replied "No, it seems YOU are going to be difficult about this." At which point he SCREAMED "QUALITY CONTROL: CUSTOMER IS ABUSIVE! TERMINATING CALL! At which point he hung up on me.

So, I took a cue from that Mint representative with THIS representative today who doesn't realize that coins are, typically, produced either as PROOF coins, or MINT STATE coins and this is what happened:

Representative: "Sir, you can't talk to me like that, the paper says..and you don't know what you're talking about..."

But before she could get it all out, I spoke OVER HER and said

Me: QUALITY CONTROL! REPRESENTATIVE IS INCOMPETENT AND ABUSIVE. I AM FORCED TO TERMINATE THIS CALL.

I am just dumbfounded at their complete stupidity! I mean, first of all, put it on the web site! Seriously, it's not their first time at the rodeo! Secondly, give the reps the right information! And if you did, fire the ones who are too stupid to pass basic reading comprehension classes and absorb the information! :makepoint:

I called back in about ten minutes, talked to someone else, and posed the same question. I got a very simple and straightforward answer, without a hassle:

1. It's a proof coin.

2. It just won't have a mint mark (which of course is atypical of some of the proof issues).

3. I THINK (but don't quote me on this because I was still irritated from my previous call and wasn't paying perhaps as close attention as I should have been), that she said that despite the lack of mint mark, that it was being minted at West Point.

I told this representative about my previous call, and she was very apologetic, took my name, and took the previous representative's name (I ALWAYS get names). I've worked in insurance for 17 years, taking names is second nature!

She also indicated that they've gotten a number of inquires because of the lack of info on the web site - fancy that. All this from a woman whose first language was clearly not English. I'd guess her to have been Eastern European, but just a hunch.

Probably the easiest call she had all day too. Despite my username here, I am not really a BULLY, it's just a play on words, I am actually quite mild-mannered. I just don't have a lot of patience for incompetence in customer service.

:o

***********You may read the description from the Mint yourself (below) and see if you have any question about the coin, especially considering its price tag********************

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&mpe_id=10101&jspStoreDir=ConsumerDirect&productId=14399&intv_id=10551&evtype=CpgnClick&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&ddkey=ClickInfo

The United States Mint is introducing a new initiative titled the United States Mint Celebration Series, and will be offering various numismatic coin products that are packaged and positioned to celebrate special gift-giving occasions and celebratory events. The United States Mint’s Celebration Series is an outreach initiative to non-traditional coin collectors and will be available to all collectors and non collectors alike.

The American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is the first product to be introduced in the series and is being launched in time for the 2008 Lunar New Year – a traditionally important gift-giving time of year for Asian-Americans.

This coin is an American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Bullion Coin and contains one ounce of 24-karat, .9999 fine gold. Each coin is packaged in its traditional protective covering and placed in a bright red, plush-lined gift box with a custom-designed foil-stamped outer sleeve.

The American Buffalo Gold Bullion Coin’s obverse and reverse designs feature images originally prepared by noted American sculptor James Earle Fraser, a student of Augustus Saint-Gaudens, for the redesign of America’s 5-cent coin (nickel). A custom-designed Certificate of Authenticity features the signature and chop mark of the Director of the United States Mint. The weight and content of the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is backed by the United States Government.

To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, any order placed prior to the official on-sale date and time (February 5, 2008, 12:00 Noon ET) shall not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored.

Product Limit: No set product limit.

The American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is expected to begin shipping in late February. If paying by credit card, please be sure your credit card information remains current.

Price: $1,018.88

I believe this is just a fancy package for a GOLD BULLION ROUND.

Not too outrageous a price as GOLD per ounce is at $918

This coin will probably NOT have a DOLLAR denomination on this piece of metal ...

They do not want to put a MINT mark on the 'Round' as it is not a United States Legally issued coin via Congresional act or at least I have not heard of any new ones.

You don't think the US Mint knows anything about coins and thier buyers ... this is PROOF that they do. :)

my 2c

:blahblah:

"The primary mission of the United States Mint is to produce an adequate volume of circulating coinage for the nation to conduct its trade and commerce. In recent history circulating coin production has varied between 11 billion and 20 billion coins annually. In addition to producing coins, the United States Mint has other responsibilities, including the following:

1. Distributing U.S. coins to the Federal Reserve banks and branches.

2. Maintaining physical custody and protection of the Nation's $100 billion of U.S. gold and silver assets.

3. Overseeing of production facilities in Denver, Philadelphia, San Francisco and West Point, as well as the U.S. Bullion Depository at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

4. Producing proof, uncirculated, and commemorative coins, and medals for sale to the general public.

5. Manufacturing and selling platinum, gold, and silver bullion coins. "

Items 1, 2 and 3 matter. Items 4 and 5 don't.

This coin will probably NOT have a DOLLAR denomination on this piece of metal ...

They do not want to put a MINT mark on the 'Round' as it is not a United States Legally issued coin via Congresional act or at least I have not heard of any new ones.

You don't think the US Mint knows anything about coins and thier buyers ... this is PROOF that they do. :)

my 2c

Very PUNNY :kidaround:

I would expect the price to increase this year, substantially, with the bullion price of course.

You raise a good question, is this a coin, or is it a "round." The written description does call it a "coin" but it is still vague enough that it didn't mention a finish (proof vs. uncirculated) so I am not shocked that it doesn't mention the rest either.

If you look at the photo closely though, it APPEARS to have the $50 though. (attached)

After what I went through already, I just don't feel like calling the Mint again today.

Anyone else FEELING LUCKY?

52427-BA3_popup.jpg.6223fd002d20d4f10f133a7b1e51f6fc.jpg

4. Producing proof, uncirculated, and commemorative coins, and medals for sale to the general public.

And you're here...because? :baiting:

And you're here...because? :baiting:

Because I collect from circulation. I don't throw stupid money at the mint and then rant about poor service or products that are basically gold and silver "rounds". :baiting:

my 2c

I believe it is just fancy packaging for those gold Buffaloes that came out a couple of years ago. Thus, it will actually have a dollar denomination (and is actually, technically, a coin).

Seems to me their ad covers what the coin is -----1o/z eagle has $50.00 on it

American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin (BA3)

Click here to view larger image

Image not actual size

The United States Mint is introducing a new initiative titled the United States Mint Celebration Series, and will be offering various numismatic coin products that are packaged and positioned to celebrate special gift-giving occasions and celebratory events. The United States Mint’s Celebration Series is an outreach initiative to non-traditional coin collectors and will be available to all collectors and non collectors alike.

The American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is the first product to be introduced in the series and is being launched in time for the 2008 Lunar New Year – a traditionally important gift-giving time of year for Asian-Americans.

This coin is an American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Bullion Coin and contains one ounce of 24-karat, .9999 fine gold. Each coin is packaged in its traditional protective covering and placed in a bright red, plush-lined gift box with a custom-designed foil-stamped outer sleeve.

The American Buffalo Gold Bullion Coin’s obverse and reverse designs feature images originally prepared by noted American sculptor James Earle Fraser, a student of Augustus Saint-Gaudens, for the redesign of America’s 5-cent coin (nickel). A custom-designed Certificate of Authenticity features the signature and chop mark of the Director of the United States Mint. The weight and content of the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is backed by the United States Government.

To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, any order placed prior to the official on-sale date and time (February 5, 2008, 12:00 Noon ET) shall not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored.

Product Limit: No set product limit.

The American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is expected to begin shipping in late February. If paying by credit card, please be sure your credit card information remains current.

Price: $1,018.88 Qty.

Product will be available for shipping 02/29/2008

Add to Cart

Add to Wish List

If by People at the mint" you mean the folks who answer the phone on their phone order lines, the answer is no. Those folks don't even work for the mint. They work for a company that has contracts with the mint, among MANY others to man phone banks to accept calls for product orders. Today they be taking orders for the mint and next week for some tv shopping show or a dept store. They often have no knowledge about the products that they take orders for and just have a list of products and options. If you deviate from the standard questions they are lost.

Seems to me their ad covers what the coin is -----1o/z eagle has $50.00 on it

Click here to view larger image

What their ad DOESN'T cover is whether the coin is a PROOF coin or a MINT STATE/Uncirculated coin.

And the folks at the "US Mint Product Ordering Service" seem to think that it's

"Neither." At least the first person with whom I spoke INSISTED it was. I tried to explain that "BULLION" was NOT a coin condition, and that a BULLION coin could be either Proof OR Mint State. She told me I had NO idea what I was talking about "Because it said so on the paper, it was a BULLION coin." Yeah honey, I've got your bullion coin right here. Bite :censored:

Anyway, the SECOND person with whom I spoke was VERY apologetic, and said that it was, in fact, a PROOF coin, but would bear no mint mark. Whether or not this is true (either fact) I honestly don't know if I can believe it. Frankly, after the way I was treated, I want it in writing. A brochure would be nice, or I'd even settle for a descriptive update to their web site, you know, like they do with every other coin. They have done this before after all.