• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying trip?

51 posts in this topic

Somebody post a pic of this!

Man's gotta have his dreams, ya know!

You don't see anything. In the nude pictures, arms cover up and she is seen from behind to the waist in one scene. All they did was draw a few lines to show she was wearing underwear. I am suprised it was even noticed, especially being in a Marvel Knights book. Methinks it was artificially hyped.

Forgetting the bogus "nudity" in the variant for a moment - how is the writing in the Bendis issues?

I really like his take on Daredevil, but mostly because it reads more like a crime thriller than a superhero comic. He not only builds on Miller's interpretation of the character, but I think his writing is better. So how does the writing in Elektra compare?

Forgetting the bogus "nudity" in the variant for a moment - how is the writing in the Bendis issues?

It wasn't very good. Getting Elektra involved with S.H.I.E.L.D. was fine for the Elektra: Assassin mini-series, but I haven't been a big fan of keeping this angle going like in Bendis' Elektra run and in various appearances with Wolverine. I would rather see her involved with Daredevil, the Kingpin and the Hand instead of sending her off to Iraq to fight HYDRA and some Saddam Hussein wannabe, while getting naked (or not) in front of her S.H.I.E.L.D. handler (who may or may not be a Life Model Decoy). sleeping.gif Also, the absolutely atrocious artwork by Chuck Austen didn't do Bendis' writing any favors on the run. The only redeeming feature of the run (for me, anyway) was the cover artwork by Greg Horn.

I really like his take on Daredevil, but mostly because it reads more like a crime thriller than a superhero comic. He not only builds on Miller's interpretation of the character, but I think his writing is better. So how does the writing in Elektra compare?

Back when I was reading about 20 Marvels a month on a regular basis, this was the one I looked forward to reading the most. Yeah, the art wasn't great but, great Horn covers...and I personally liked the stories. Couldn't figure out how they could allow all that violence while giving that issue an "X" rating. One of the mysteries of the modern age. confused.gif

Thanks guys, I think I'll skip it - second rate art can drag down good writing, and this sounds like more like a standard superhero book than Daredevil. What helps sell Bendis' writing on DD is Alex Maleev's art - yeah, it's a little heavy on the photo references at times, but it's dark and moody quality really capture the crime story feel of the book - I especially like what he's doing with the latest story line - the B/W for the 40s flashbacks and the bright dots of color for the 60s? flashbacks. Actually I like the fact that the middle time period is somewhat vague, it artfully dodges the continuity issues that any character who's been running around in tights for 40 or more years is going to have.

As for Miller vs. Bendis - I have to give Miller credit for being the first writer to understand the potential for Daredevil - that he could be Marvel's Dark Knight - and his visual interpretation was the best since Gene Colan. The grim and gritty quality in both his art & storytelling were very fresh at the time, and got me reading superhero comics again, but truthfully his writing, while better than most, is a bit overrated. This is nowhere more evident than in his Sin City books - The art is fantastic. probably his best work, but the stories are second rate Mickey Spillane with a dose of ninja strippers - I finally gave up on them when I felt I was reading the same story over again with each new series.

Thanks guys, I think I'll skip it - second rate art can drag down good writing, and this sounds like more like a standard superhero book than Daredevil. What helps sell Bendis' writing on DD is Alex Maleev's art - yeah, it's a little heavy on the photo references at times, but it's dark and moody quality really capture the crime story feel of the book

Agreed, but in the last couple of issues I've been REALLY disappointed in Maleev's work. He's gone from one of my favorites to seeming, well, lazy.

Speaking of that Wolverine #131 racial slur variant issue, I've got a CGC 9.6 copy with white pages for sale if you or anyone else is interested...PM me with an offer if interested. wink.gif

If you end up selling that please PM me and let me know how much you get for it.

Speaking of that Wolverine #131 racial slur variant issue, I've got a CGC 9.6 copy with white pages for sale if you or anyone else is interested...PM me with an offer if interested. wink.gif

If you end up selling that please PM me and let me know how much you get for it.

I'd be interested to know as well. I have a copy and just by virtue of how readily available it was to me I'm suprised to hear its as rare as it is.

Hey Brad,

You can definitely tell she is nude in that frame in the middle of the page. I'm sure she has some dirty thoughts on her mind being naked on that bed. And who is this dork talking to her anyways? 27_laughing.gif

Also, the glare prevents me from seeing the frame in the lower left. What happens there? Does she end up putting on some clothes or what?

Hey Brad,

You can definitely tell she is nude in that frame in the middle of the page. I'm sure she has some dirty thoughts on her mind being naked on that bed. And who is this dork talking to her anyways? 27_laughing.gif

Also, the glare prevents me from seeing the frame in the lower left. What happens there? Does she end up putting on some clothes or what?

There is another page where she's putting on her top and head scarf where you can clearly see that she is clean shaven, if you get my meaning.

I've never read the issue, myself. That scan I posted is just copied from a post Darthdiesel made regarding this issue about a year ago. crazy.gif