• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Trade Dollar has turned very dark in the holder - can anything be done?

2 posts in this topic

I have a PCGS PR62 Trade Dollar that has turned very dark in the holder. I've owned it for about two years and it has been in my safe deposit box the whole time. I got it out of the box last weekend just to look at it and was shocked by the appearance.

The first image was taken just after I receive it in 2005. It had a pleasing bluish/purple cast and was some what dark, but still attractive.

67372272.jpg

This is what it looks like today. It has turned several shades darker and I find it very unattractive.

92589946.jpg

Can NCS do anything to improve the appearance?

From the sounds of your description, your coin is one we certainly would have to see in person to determine what might be done to help it through professional conservation. It is difficult to determine from the image what may have caused such a dramatic change in a short time. We could at the very least be able to take steps to prevent further change. We would have to have the coin in hand to determine anything for certain, however.

Chris, NCS