• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1968 Half dollar question

5 posts in this topic

i have a uncirculated 1968 -D kennedy half dollar , it in in plastic my question is was this coin done in silver ,? from looking at it it looks like it is silver , also what is a uncirculated coin class as ? ms 67 ? are what the coin guild is confuseing

thanks

Hi Iceviper.

Welcome to the forums. Half dollars minted between 1965 through 1970, inclusive, are 40% silver, down in silver content from 1964, which was 90% silver. So the 1968 half has the appearance of high silver when it it not. If you view the edge of the coin, you will see a distinct layer of 'clad silver'. Generally, there is no value for these coins other than the minimal silver content, which is about 70 cents. In order for these coins to have substantial value, the grade of the coin must be extemely high, meaning an uncirculated coin with NO contact marks, scratches, or disturbances of the surface. Then a coin such as this may receive a grade of mint state 66, 67 or 68, which is very rare. A common grade in uncirculated for this coin is mint state 60-63

TRUTH news.gif

thank you for the info , i have so much to learn about coins , : )

Hi

Welcome to the boards! A "Guide Book of US Coins" by RS Yeomen is a great start to learning about coins.

Leo

The 40% clad coins are all a couple of very thin layers of 80% silver bonded to a core of only 21% silver. High grade silver clad halfs from '65 to '70 are very elusive. Mark free coins are occasionally seen in rolls but will generally be poorly struck and well struck pieces will be seen in mint sets but these tend to be heavily marked. The '68 is especially difficult to find with out a lot of little scratches and gouges.

It will take some time to learn about coins. Keep your eyes open and ask questions. Good luck.