• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ri Al is back...and stumped again

9 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone. I miss popping in here and talking coins and stuff. The cataracts have gotten so bad that I can't see too well...but today I just HAD to do some coin stuff!! I miss it. I have about 12 different magnifiers here on my desk. It's lots of work to see coin details now...but surgery is scheduled for 3 weeks. Can't WAIT!!!

Can anyone share any insight about this piece? I am assuming it is Irish but that's as far as I can get. The edge seems to have some lettering (?) but I can't make out what it says. Size is larger than a U.S. quarter. Any ideas?

Hope you all are well and thanks for your help!!

RI AL

irishob.jpg

irishre.jpg

best of luck on the cataract surgery...if all goes well you'll be amazed at the wonderful clarity and vividness of the world again...not to mention enjoying the beauty of your coins also..

Hey, there...and thanks. I had some dealer tell me way back in my youth that it was Canadian, and I had it filed away there all these years. I found it yesterday and knew it wasn't Canadian...Thanks for confirming my Irish suspicions.

RI AL

Good morning, Physics-fan.

Yea...I miss being here. The sorting and organizing has come to a halt due to the rapid cataract development. When it's done, I hope to post more "crazy questions" as weird stuff

continues to emerge from years of stuffing in old boxes.

Ri AL .

Many thanks, Jackson64. They never tell you that after a kidney transplant, the meds will cause all sorts of odd but manageable "things" to happen, like cataracts, eyebrows fall out or change color, all sorts of neat stuff. BUT...I feel pretty good so I am VERY blessed..

RI AL

Hello, everyone. I miss popping in here and talking coins and stuff. The cataracts have gotten so bad that I can't see too well...but today I just HAD to do some coin stuff!! I miss it. I have about 12 different magnifiers here on my desk. It's lots of work to see coin details now...but surgery is scheduled for 3 weeks. Can't WAIT!!!

Can anyone share any insight about this piece? I am assuming it is Irish but that's as far as I can get. The edge seems to have some lettering (?) but I can't make out what it says. Size is larger than a U.S. quarter. Any ideas?

Hope you all are well and thanks for your help!!

RI AL

irishob.jpg

irishre.jpg

Hi RI AL

The Token you have pictured There are Two Varieties in copper; and one in brass. The Bust and Harp token was struck in Ireland and sent to Lower Canada. The date on the die was altered to 1820 from 1825 because of the law forbidding the use of private tokens.

Consequently the tokens of 1825 are "rare" Specimens in brass are commoner than those in copper, and are local counterfeits. the brass tokens have eight, nine, or ten strings to the harp. originals in copper have ten strings..

Hope this is useful all the best dooly :devil: