• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1896 Morgan PF-65 DCAM Value?

12 posts in this topic

Just got Morgan Dollar 1896 back from PCGS graded PF-65DCAM.

I am not a dealer, but a collector, and would sure appreciate value opinions regarding market value.

THANKS.

283900-1896_proof.jpg.e478e64a043caf1f874e70d8edcfe68d.jpg

really sweet coin!! looks really great from the photo i like this coin and i would love to see it in person

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm guesstimate without seeing the coin in person

$7k to 10k retail

depending on the sight seen look of the coin

******* maybe more or less ****** again depending on the sight seen look of the coin

michael

I am not a dealer, but a collector, and would sure appreciate value opinions regarding market value.

THANKS.

Mister that is One fine lady.

Sounds like a nice piece. The best way to determine its market value would be to search through Heritage's auction archives and see what similar pieces have sold for in the recent past.

The 1896 is not an overly scarce date in CAM or DCAM in my opinion as some of the best contrasted Morgan proofs were produced between 1896-1898, so depending on what it looks like, my guess would be somewhere in the $4800.00-$6000.00 range, but again, it could go even higher depending on just how strong the contrast is and how overall eye appealing the coin is.

dragon

I believe wholesale would be at least $5250 (heck, I'd pay $5000 for it, sight-unseen) on the piece and retail, at least $6500.

That said, if the images are accurate, it looks to be a just-make it DCAM example, as there are a few areas where the frost/contrast is somewhat lacking/minimal for that designation. And, the contrast is a bit muted, due, to what appears to be some light patina.

Nice coin and congratulations.

THANKS.

How about a valued opinion on grading? If that mark high up on the cheek is very distracting then your coin is overgraded. If the frost is doing a good job in covering up that mark, then I can agree with the grade. If the coin's frost is not entirely white and a grayish color can be seen through the frost then in my opinion, it's not dcam. Otherwise, your coin appears to be virtually marked free and looks like it should grade PF66 and dcam if all the devices are entirely white.

Leo

<<>>

The frost on the devices of any coin need not necessarily appear completely white for a coin to be considered and/or designated a DCAM, nor does a coin have to be untoned to be a CAM or DCAM.

dragon

I think alot of leeway is given to older coins over to what's produced today. Heavy, ultra and dcams is a designation reserved for those coins that have exceptional mirrors and frost. But since grading has and usually is all over the place, there is little separation between what's cam and whatever. It's always up to the collector if he believes a coin can be improved and does just that and does not relying on what a TGC opinionates on. But for the majority of collectors who do not have a clue but accept the TGC's answers anyway, there is a secondary market for those collectors who are independent from the TGC's and they know what they want in a coin.

Leo 893blahblah.gif

the major key for deep cameo ultra cameo is the contrast there has to be really monster contrast between the devices and the fields and of course for deep cameo there has to be complete frost to great complete frost but

the devices can be monster heavy snow white but if the contrast is not there then the coin is not deep cameo

michael

Sweet coin...you should be proud to own it. I've wanted a cam proof Morgan for some time and will one day have one (I hope). Judging by the photos DCAM might be a bit of a stretch in overall market value but as a cameo it is upper end. I'd personally say you could get $5k to $5500 anytime you want for that beauty!

Definately a very nice coin, but I see three area's on the obverse and one on the reverse from looking at the photo that could stop the DCAM depending on who graded it. The cheek and neck, plus the hair at the rear I need to see closer, and the bottom region of the eagle also on the reverse. Over all a nice coin, but heck who can say just looking at a coin over the net. I would definately take it anytime.

Steve