• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1990 silver eagle pf70,vs 2000 silver eagle pf70.

4 posts in this topic

I am just wondering why; the 1990 silver eagle pf70 to not expensive, from the 2000 silver eagle pf70; the 1990 one’s are less made and pf70s only 796 of them but, buy them around $375. However, the 2000 ones the mint made more of them and ngc graded pf70 1669 of them although, cost to buy them around $750.

Anyone want to shed water on my burning question?

I hadn't noticed. If the 1990 has a smaller population then the 2000 then it might have something to do with the millenium in 2000 and hence a bigger turnover because of more desire for the 2000 date.

Another reason might be Availabilty. Since 2000 is closer to 2008 they are probably more availble as they are more recent and everytime they turn over the price increases.

I have a 1989 MS70 A.S.E to name one of them. How often do you see one in the 80s offered? If one was offered then what price would you put on it and then it might be several years before one in the 80s date is offered again.

I don't know why, but the term foolishness comes to mind.. Especially if what Chabsentia says is true. Higher priced because it is MORE available? In that case it would definitely be a case of buying the hype, and in the long run I would doubt the premiums would hold up.

I wrote Coin World trends a few months ago about why they had no listings for the MS70 A.S.E coins. Their reply was that there was not enough traffic in these grades because in most cases there is no buying and selling because of the few numbers existing as well as the ones that are sitting in Registries and don't come up that often for Sale and there is not enough information.

Last year I also wrote Numismedia regarding certain coins that had a "No Price" designation such as "First Strike " and certain Vams. I had originally written them regarding the "No Price " designation on a 1987 A.S.E. MS69 Struck thu error coin. In all cases it the answer was because there was not enough information to give a value because they were thinly traded and there was no way to determine what price the Market would pay. at any given time.

I guess it could also go the other way in that one doesnt come up for bid that often regardless of the population and when they do come up the Market is right for them and they are bid up.

in either case it becomes a matter of Availabilty and the Market at any given time instead of Population.

Condor is right about the Foolishness.

I am in the Morgan phase right now and have been surfing Teletrade and E Bay and last week a Morgan had been sold on Teletrade the previous week for $240.00 including the Buyers Premium. This particular coin in the same grade and year in an NGC holder can be bought in numerous places for $130.00. and there are three other Historic Prices present that also show the $130.00 average prices.