• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipwreck reales

10 posts in this topic

Anyone else have any shipwreck reales? (shrug) I have several Atocha pieces, many 1715 fleet pieces and a few Lucayan Beach cobs. I used to have a complete set from the Santa Margarita, which I regret selling to this day. I'm looking at buying some more Santa Margarita material.

Most of them are vastly overpriced, often anywhere from 2 to 10 times what you can buy the same coin for - without the shipwreck pedigree. Yeah I used to like the idea of owning shipwreck coins too - but not that much. It is especially bad with the Spanish colonial.

If the shipwreck pedigree is what strikes your fancy, then look to the Netherlands gold ducats. There were a few cases where the entire mintage of a given year/mint went down with the ship. And on those the premium is minimal and most of the coins are MS.

Most of them are vastly overpriced, often anywhere from 2 to 10 times what you can buy the same coin for - without the shipwreck pedigree. Yeah I used to like the idea of owning shipwreck coins too - but not that much. It is especially bad with the Spanish colonial.

If the shipwreck pedigree is what strikes your fancy, then look to the Netherlands gold ducats. There were a few cases where the entire mintage of a given year/mint went down with the ship. And on those the premium is minimal and most of the coins are MS.

GDJMSP, I did a quick google search for shipwrecked ducats and all I could find were ones costing $1100+. Is this what you had in mind? I'm interested in ducats right now as gold coins, do you know where I can buy some from this shipwreck you're talking about? How much should they cost?

Thanks

GDJMSP, I did a quick google search for shipwrecked ducats and all I could find were ones costing $1100+. Is this what you had in mind? I'm interested in ducats right now as gold coins, do you know where I can buy some from this shipwreck you're talking about? How much should they cost?

Thanks

Without knowing which coin you are talking about it's hard to say. But that price seems mighty high. Here are two for examples - the first is from the Akerendam wreck.

1724%20Neth%20ducat%20slab.jpg

The second is from the Vliegenthart wreck. In both cases the entire mintage was on the ship. I paid less than $500 for each coin.

1729%20Netherlands%20ducat%20obv.jpg

1729%20Netherlands%20ducat%20rev.jpg

Anyone else have any shipwreck reales?

I have an 8 Reales coin from the el Cazador, similar to the one shown, though it's certified by NGC.

They've gone up in price I think, but the (ok everyone, GASP now), Morgan Mint www.morganmint.com is selling el Cazador coins, including the 8 Reales coin that I got, certified by NGC:

http://www.morganmint.com/product.cfm?Prod=3192

Boxed and slabbed for $295 now.

Before XMAS, QVC had them too, at $263, but the box wasn't as nice, and at the time, the sale price was cheaper at Morgan Mint -- both NGC certified. After the sale, an instant coupon, and a rebate, it was less than $180.

I don't know about you, but I always google coupons for the web site I am shopping at to see if I can save some more too, sometimes 10% or more. Enter site name and coupon code and voila! In this example type: MorganMint.com coupon code

A quick search revealed at least two different 10% off codes, and that was on the first site I checked -- there were others!

So, if you were into this coin, from this merchant, that would be $29.50 right off the top at the time of purchase, then see below about how to get another 5% cash back rebate, for another $14.75! Between the two discounts, it knocks quite a bit off the price, albeit still substantial.

------------------------------------

:signofftopic:

If you ARE interested in that coin at that site, you can join Ebates.com, and earn CASH rebates for online shopping at HUNDREDS of stores that you probably already use. With the Morgan Mint, the cash back deal is 5%, so you'd get a rebate of $14.75 credited to your Ebates.com account. Rebate checks are issued quarterly, as long as you have a minimum of $5 in your account, and they can even be "direct deposited" to your PayPal account of you prefer!

If you want to sign up for Ebates (whether or not you want to shop at the Morgan Mint), if you join through this link, you get a $5 new account bonus when you make your first purchase, and I get a $5 "referral" bonus. The link is:

http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?id=26842312

Almost every name brand store you’d want to shop at, including Barnes & Noble, the Gap, iTunes, Target, Dell, Overstock and Expedia, are there, and coupons for many other places! They actually have over 800 stores, so if you do any online shopping I bet some or many of your favorites are there!

They also list tons of great INSTANT coupons, free shipping deals, and sales from these stores so you can stay on top of ways to save even more. You can check them out on Ebates.com! Remember: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?id=26842312

That gets you AND me a $5 bonus!

^^ I've literally saved thousands from Ebates since joining, much of that in instant savings, and over $850 of that in actual cash rebates.