• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't usually do this but.....

42 posts in this topic

p.s. I would read your manual to see if your camera has a custom white balance. If it does, buy a grey card and learn to use this feature, as the results will be far superior to anything you can do by eye (and/or in post processing).

I can't find the manual....at least the version in english doh!

This direct link should work:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0900009927/PSSX100IS_CUG_EN.pdf

It should even be in English. ;)

If that doesn't work, you can download the manual here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=225&modelid=15672#DownloadDetailAct You want this file: PSSX100IS_CUG_EN.pdf

Pay particular attention to the section starting on page 116 (p 118 of the PDF). It seems your camera will take a custom white balance -- which is great news and the solution to the problem. Read on....

Here's what I would recommend: Order a grey card from B&H or go to your local photo shop and buy one. Use this to set your white balance as per the above manual (placed exactly where you are going to take a photo of the coin at, and (obviously) using the same lights -- and don't forget to let them warm up) and viola, perfect white balance every time. It is just that simple.

Hope this helps...Mike

Yes it helps thanks and fortunately I found my manual and read the exact page last night. I was going to use a white sheet of paper to set but I can run by a photo shop today....then we shall see what happens :banana:

FYI, a white sheet of paper isn't exactly white, thus the color balance will be slightly off. It will work in a pinch though. For more accurate color, consider a grey card. Good luck & please keep us apprised of your progress...Mike

The camera store was gone from the mall so I had to settle for a white sheet of paper but I could immediately see a difference in the image but using thew custom white setting.....I did not make any adjustments to the images other than cropping. Before I had to use the autoadjust feature with the camera imaging software so......what do you think?

coins2046.jpg

coins2049.jpg

Shane I want to be the first to say your imaging has gone from Scans, which sucked(in comparasin) to very nice looking photos. The last one looks spot on! Congrats!

^^

I remember the scans.....no detail and they looked like cartoons........ doh!

Thanks Bruce.......you take a mean photo yourself :cloud9:

I also remember my scanning days. I remember my first post with a scan was a 1926 MS66 Oregon! Talk about getting washed out and lifeless! Maybe I can dig it up one day for comparison!

Good looking pictures, Shane! :golfclap:

I'm glad to see that your life is coming back together again. First, collecting coins again, then purchasing a new camera, and now picturing those new coins with that new camera. EXCELLENT!!!

Hey, Shane.

I'm glad you're not a Picasso. If you were, your coins would be square and have misplaced body parts...or....even worse....they could look like MY coin images! GAG!

RI Al

Hey, Shane.

I'm glad you're not a Picasso. If you were, your coins would be square and have misplaced body parts...or....even worse....they could look like MY coin images! GAG!

RI Al

Yes but think of the colors :o:cloud9:

Thanks for the comments all........things may not be perfect Sy but I will always enjoy coins and it's still a nice escape for me and you know how I love to image coins :banana: