• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1957 D Jefferson 5c Slanted D

3 posts in this topic

Got some nice finds at an estate auction, seems this fellow liked to play nickel slots, he brought home rolls of 5c every time he went.

SO...I gained a few BU nickel rolls.

In going over the original bank roll of 1957 D I found a bunch of D mint marks that are slanted, in photo one you see where the bottom of the D is kicked out to the rim as compared to photo two where it is not.

Is there a variety any where on this? and what would the number be so I may get NGC to grade it correctly????

52149-MVC-001S.JPG.e93263afc99c28677ebfbc8e77376c50.JPG

52150-MVC-002S.JPG.a386254eede629bfb5a52f7134b4d499.JPG

Mint marks that are slightly off-axis are quite common. There's not a cherrypicker's variety for this coin. The '57-D is fairly common in grades through MS65 and only garners a premium in higher grades, with nice toning, and/or with full steps.

Hoot

I don't remember exactly when the mintmark stopped being punched by hand, but it was later than this. As such, off centered, off axis, wildly misplaced, or other such mintmarks don't garner a premium. A repunched mintmark would usually fetch a small premium, and an overmintmark definitely will.