• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this coin and grade estimate?

11 posts in this topic

Just a little more info. I sent the coin into NGC and it got bagged for Improperly cleaned. This was about a year ago. There are several things on the obverse that I am not sure what they are.

First there is a dot on the nose and then the line of gunk in the field in front of the face.

Not sure if NCS can do anything for the coin or not.

I do not care for this particular coin -- the mark on the obverse is very distracting to my eye and the color looks a bit odd. The late date half cents are common enough in this grade such that if you have a little patience, a much more attractive example should present itself, and as such if I were presented the opportunity to purchase it I would likely pass.

I would probably net grade MS 62.

Thanks Mike. It is a coin that I recently did replace with a better coin. I was not pleased with this coin and I purchased it very early in my collecting days and the more I have looked at it the more I don't like it.

I am thinking about leaving it raw and putting it up on Ebay. Just wanted to get some opinions on the coin first.

cleaned with obverse damage right field

since all i got is a photo on here.......................

it looks like someone impressed/embossed something into the left obverse field starting right on the rim going past the left hald side of the 1 in the date and extending into the left field just missing the tip of the nose in the left field

from the photos and sight seen could/might be different

au/unc. details

cleaned, post mint mechanical damage

The coin was cleaned and recolored. The mark that runs in the right field and through the nose was put there after the coin was stuck. The 1851 half cent is the most common date in the 1849 to 1857 series followed by the 1853. As such selling this on eBay is probably your best option.