• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out this amazing toning! Exquisite Washington Quarter!

11 posts in this topic

I have to share this awesome, original 1943 with the forum. It will soon be added to my registry set, so it's not for sale, but it is worth a look!

The toning is absolutely original, and it resides in an old, thick, early generation NGC slab, graded MS66.

283008-1943o25T.jpg.a7d41b371f177dfc109519bbfa20452c.jpg

The coin looks like it has wonderful toning. I like it. smile.gif

I will also comment on one statement that you wrote, and that is-

The toning is absolutely original, and it resides in an old, thick, early generation NGC slab, so the surfaces are stable.

The part of this statement that I will comment on is the assumption that because the coin is in an older NGC holder that the toning is stable. If you have not seen the coin over a period of time, you will not absolutely know that the toning has not changed. Did I write that clearly? I ask because I am not certain I made my point. The point being that the coin could have looked like something else when it was slabbed, years ago, and that if you have no prior knowledge of the coin then what it looks like right now might be something substantially different than when it was first slabbed.

That entire analysis of the statement was an academic point as I believe the toning to be original and stable also. It was merely to point out that simply because a toned coin is in an older holder, it doesn't mean that it won't or can't turn somehow over time.

The coin looks like it has wonderful toning. I like it. smile.gif

I will also comment on one statement that you wrote, and that is-

The toning is absolutely original, and it resides in an old, thick, early generation NGC slab, so the surfaces are stable.

The part of this statement that I will comment on is the assumption that because the coin is in an older NGC holder that the toning is stable. If you have not seen the coin over a period of time, you will not absolutely know that the toning has not changed. Did I write that clearly? I ask because I am not certain I made my point. The point being that the coin could have looked like something else when it was slabbed, years ago, and that if you have no prior knowledge of the coin then what it looks like right now might be something substantially different than when it was first slabbed.

That entire analysis of the statement was an academic point as I believe the toning to be original and stable also. It was merely to point out that simply because a toned coin is in an older holder, it doesn't mean that it won't or can't turn somehow over time.

TomB,

Thanks for the info. I do know that just because its an old holder doesn't mean its necessarily stable, I was just trying to make the point that this toning is natural and not artificial, and pointing out the old holder was one possible, but certainly not sure-fire, way of judging it. I know it's not the right way to tell. That is just one factor out of many that I used to tell. Its good that you pointed this out, though, becuase what I originally said could have been missleading to some. I should have been more detailed with my analysis.

But, at any rate, the point I was trying to make it is, the coin is original and the toning is natural.

That's an absolutely beautiful Washington! What does it grade?

This coin is an outstanding, super-high-end MS66. It has every quality of an MS67, and I am thinking of sending it for regrade. The obverse is all there and the reverse is literally flawless, and the luster is very bright and satiny throughout.

Nice piece coinman! I hate to admit that I had the same initial reaction that Tom had when I read your first post! Curse of being a scientist, I suppose. laugh.gif But I agree that you may be less likely to find an AT Washington in an older holder of NGC or PCGS since that series didn't garner the interest of the masses until recently and "white blazers" were all the rage for quite some time.

I recently had one of my buffalo nickels in a very old NGC holder reholdered. I did it in part because I think the modern holders are quite a bit nicer but also because the new holders offer better environmental protection. The coin is a nicely toned '26 (attached).

Hoot

589a8b3f71cea_283525-1926Buffalo5cMS66NGC.JPG.6aba98d3c47a568f983cf460a2bef072.JPG

Nice piece coinman! I hate to admit that I had the same initial reaction that Tom had when I read your first post! Curse of being a scientist, I suppose. laugh.gif But I agree that you may be less likely to find an AT Washington in an older holder of NGC or PCGS since that series didn't garner the interest of the masses until recently and "white blazers" were all the rage for quite some time.

I recently had one of my buffalo nickels in a very old NGC holder reholdered. I did it in part because I think the modern holders are quite a bit nicer but also because the new holders offer better environmental protection. The coin is a nicely toned '26 (attached).

Hoot

Yes, the new holders are much nicer in look and protection, and that is another reason why I am going to send this piece in. I have seen many white coins tone in the old holders, and I know they won't make the coin stable. That quote of mine was a mis-spoken attempt at saying this coin is not AT. I was in a hurry to put the coin up and didn't take the time to right out a full explaination of it. So, there's no need to have any misgivings about correcting me, what I originally wrote was technically wrong, and it should be corrected.

Thanks, everyone, for all the comments on this coin!

Thanks for understanding the intent of my post, coinman1794. I think your coin is wonderful and original. Also, if you had pressed me for a grade based upon the single set of images, I would have felt comfortable in stating MS67. Good work! thumbsup2.gif

Hoot, your coin is beautiful! Do you think the diagonal toning pattern is due to an improper alloy mix? Whatever the cause, I like it very much. smile.gif