• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can these carbon spots be removed from a silver Proof coin?

3 posts in this topic

I have a 1953 Proof Half with carbon spots.

1. Can this be cleaned by NCS?

2. What would it cost to clean?

3. After cleaning, Should I get it slabbed thru NGC or NCS and why?

Here is a link to the pictures:

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/graffixhead/?albumview=slideshow

( I also added pics for an unknown US Coin or Medal that I need help with.)

Thanks to all in advance.

It may be possible to at least reduce the appearance of the spots on your coin. In order to determine for certain we would have to see the coin in person. After conservation we can submit your coins for grading with NGC on your behalf. There is a box to check on the NCS Submission Form for this service. The fees are based on a percentage of your declared value. The total conservation fee is 4% of your declared value with a minimum charge of $20.

The token you have on also pictured in your Photobucket gallery is a Hard Times token issued after the financial panic of 1837 when circulation coin had become scarce. You may be able to find some additional information on the piece in the Standard Catalog of United States Tokens by Russel Rulau.

Chris, NCS

The token you have on also pictured in your Photobucket gallery is a Hard Times token issued after the financial panic of 1837 when circulation coin had become scarce. You may be able to find some additional information on the piece in the Standard Catalog of United States Tokens by Russel Rulau.

Chris, NCS

Appears to be HT58