• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mini-medals?

5 posts in this topic

Just recieved an offering from the mint that included these mini-medals. Is this a new product? Can someone compare them in size to the closest coin? Are they quarter sizes,dime sized ect. They seem like a neat little gift for people ypu want to give something different but not spend much on. Thoughts?

I need more info, but if they are the presidential mini medals, they have been around for a long time.

These pieces are smaller versions in bronze of the series that started as Indian Peace medals. New ones are issued for each president has he takes office. The mint used to market them to children and sold them for $1 each. You could also buy a Whitman style slide album for them from the mint.

I have a set. They are not bad, but the hubs (master dies) for some of them are quite worn, and they have lost a lot of detail, especially on the reverses.

The brochure offers a Bush,Jefferson,John Wayne ,Reagens, and Navajo code talkers. A full size medal is 3inches and a mini is 1 1/2 or 1 and 5/16 dependinding on medal.Full size sell for 38.00 and minis for 2.75.I've never seen the little ones offered before(not that that means all that much)

The mini-medals are silver dollar sized. Some are attractive-looking but the George Washington medal with the Indian peace medal reverse (two hands shaking) has a very cheesy finish. I've purchased about a dozen of various medals from the mint. It makes a nice side collection and looks great housed in the eagle album with black 2X2 holders.

The are not a new item. Some of them have been offered since the 1960's (i.e. the Denver mint medal).