• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Lieu of Buying a HIGH grade Certified Example at $$$ ...

19 posts in this topic

I am trying my hand at RAW coins on Ebay and having them certified. After litterally going through 100's of coins, where 99% of them I was sure would not grade for one fault or another, I found this one coin in the wrong directory listing

(Bullion). Sometimes this is done on purpose to give the coin more exposure,darn giving up some of my tricks, but not in this case. I think this coin stands on its own merits and didn't need any ploys to sell it.

There is one mark just to the left of where a MINT mark whould be .. not sure of that until it is in hand.

Looks to be normal coloring for a Morgan ..

What do you think of this 1904p Morgan ?

52065-1904p.jpg.5d43b3a7a3a73b6d982dc3bea4b4a03d.jpg

jgrinz----- Depending on what you paid----But regardless of what you paid----Owing to what I see on the Eagle's breast----You got yourself one nice MS Morgan dollar. I'd say that you made a killing. Congrats. Bob [supertooth]

jgrinz----- Depending on what you paid----But regardless of what you paid----Owing to what I see on the Eagle's breast----You got yourself one nice MS Morgan dollar. I'd say that you made a killing. Congrats. Bob [supertooth]
And, as "Mr. Killjoy", I'd say there is absolutely no way to know that from the images. ;)

And, as "Mr. Killjoy", I'd say there is absolutely no way to know that from the images. ;)

I would not expect anything less from you Mark :baiting:

400px-WwII_memorial_kilroy_was_here.jpgSerouisly, from the images it looks PL .Hope it looks as good in hand ,congrats Mike. (thumbs u

the image is black and white, and it looks like a high relief, so obviously, the photo has been grossly fooled with. I'd say there's no way of telling until you have it in hand.

Yeah I understand what you are saying .. It almost has a 3D look to the features.

I however was more looking at the details and possible damage/distractions to the eye to withhold this from grading.

This is the size picture I like to use to accurately grade a Morgan. Some people tend to blow them up too big and little imperfections to the coin look tremendously worse than they actually are.

Time will tell - Obviously I will post pictures when it gets here.

Almost all dollars that were struck after 1900 have a flat luster with no contrast between fields and devices. I can not tell from this scan what the coin looks like except it looks like someone has messed with the images.

If this coin HASNT been messed with/photoshopped, I think you got a winner!!! Though, as many have said in the past, cant really tell just by a photo...I hope it looks as good, or better in hand. I think its a good pick up...but time will tell...and I have been known to be wrong in the past...just ask my wife!

edited to add: I think I am supposed to be wrong about something tomorrow, not sure yet, but will let you know when I find out! lol

What do you think of this 1904p Morgan ?

I think I'd be sending that bad boy to be graded, right quick!

Between the very strong hairlines and good ear on Liberty on the obverse, and good strong strike of the eagle's breast feathers on the reverse, it has some promise.

:acclaim:

I was waiting to see if anyone else would comment on this, but it appears as if most of Liberty's portrait and the eagle are a bit darker/different in color from the rest of the coin. It almost looks as if the coin has been dipped and those areas didn't dip out the same as the rest of the surfaces.

The Image looks like a nice Morgan but the color of the Images may be hiding other things so it will not be possible to know until the Coin is in hand.

The Breast feathers on the Reverse look good and there seems to be very slight wear in the hair line just above the ear but that could be because of the color of the Image.

If there are no problems such as cleaning AT etc then I would say you have a nice Morgan.

I was waiting to see if anyone else would comment on this, but it appears as if most of Liberty's portrait and the eagle are a bit darker/different in color from the rest of the coin. It almost looks as if the coin has been dipped and those areas didn't dip out the same as the rest of the surfaces.

This is where I am admittedly SO bad at identifying cleaned coins. I've just not yet developed that "eye."

It's part of why I'd send this to be graded right quick -- to find out. Maybe sending to to NCS first, "just in case" so if it is a problem coin, you can at least get it encapsulated all at the same time, because it's still such a nice looking specimen.

That said, it's part of why I find it so very hard to deal in raw coins. The only time, for instance, I'll buy raw Morgans is when I can essentially get them for slightly over the melt value of silver. My general rule on raw Morgans: About $15. Ideally I'd like $9.95 (or less) but I know those are those stray auctions that no one notices and you just get lucky. For a good year or good eye appeal on a raw one, take a chance up to $20. (all prices INCLUDE shipping in my calculation).

If the coin turns out to be improperly cleaned, whizzed or otherwise a "no grade" at least you didn't pay a lot, you still have an otherwise nice coin, and at not much more than the melt value of the previous metal.

Every once in awhile I see a post where I can go first. I enjoy stiring the pot a little. Should have guessed that Mark would go second.

At any rate, I see that a lot of the folks are catching on about pictures. And, that is great. You just cannot tell---until you see the coin in hand---whether this coin will grade at all at either NGC or PCGS.

But, my guess at an MS coin will stand. I doubt those Eagle's breast feathers are completely erroneous. Maybe not a grade at NGC or PCGS. But I'd bet that you could get an MS 60 something grade at most, if not all, of the third tier companies. And, thereby, make a probable nice profit on the purchase.

And, if the coin is indeed nice in hand, remember that a many an AU58 Morgan is sitting in an MS62 holder---regardless of whether it has been dipped or not. And regardless of whether there might be a touch of 'rub' above the ear. Please do let us know what it really looks like when you get it. Bob [supertooth]

I cheesed out and bought this one ... Seller gave me a decent discount to market

so why bother withthe grading thing :)

B793a.jpg

B793b.jpg

B793c.jpg

:)