• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just back from the Westchester county coin show

10 posts in this topic

The show opened at 12 noon today and there were a good number of people at the show for a Friday afternoon. I saw a couple of nice draped bust dollars. One was a raw 1795 in XF and the other was a 1799 graded XF-45 by NGC if I remember correctly. Both were very nice original coins. I also saw a number of really nice type coins from early cents through seated coinage. Morgan dollars were everywhere including some very nicely toned ones, but nothing I would call monster toned.

Overall, NICE key date coins of all series were scarce. There were plenty of nice common date and modern coins, but if you were looking for key date Lincoln’s, buffalo’s, or early commem’s the pickings were slim. All the dealers I spoke to said that the market was very hot and that they were having a hard time finding nice coins to buy.

The show continues tomorrow from 10am to 7pm and Sunday from 10am to 4pm.

I was able to add these two coins to my holdings. wink.gif

282741-1913d%20buffalo%20obv.jpg

282743-1913d%20buffalo%20rev.jpg

282744-1936%20cleveland%20obv.jpg

282746-1936%20cleveland%20rev.jpg

The Buffalo is a 1913D graded MS-66 by NGC and has very nice toining. The Cleveland half is also graded MS-66 by NGC and is blazing blast white. Both coins have great cartwheel luster.

John

Are Bust dollars still white hot?

It seemed so to me Truth. When I saw the bust dollars I was walking past a table and the 1799 caught my eye in a case. While I was looking at it I realized that the dealer was talking to the person sitting next to me about another bust dollar. I looked over and the guy next to me had a beautiful XF 1795 in his hand. The dealer wanted $6,000 and change for it and I believe the guy bought it. I commented to them how nice the coin was and they let me hold it to get a better look at it. It was a solid XF coin with a nice original gunmetal gray color to it.

John

Nice coins, John! smile.gif The Cleveland looks superbly smooth and satiny. I like it. Also, I can imagine how nice that that Buffalo looks in person. Cool coins. smile.gif

Thanks Mike.

Yes, the Cleveland is exceptional and as a matter of fact when I wrote the description for the coin in my registry set I said that IMO this coin is as close to an MS-67 you can find while still being in an MS-66 holder. The most incredible thing about the coin is its luster. It screams out at you!

John

Hi Tom,

The buffalo is really nice. It has a lot more pink and light blue color than the scan shows. I’ve picked up a few really nice coins since the last time I saw you. The next time I see you I’ll have to bring them so you can check them out up close and personal!

John

John - I took one look at that buff picture and said to myself, "Wow, that's an MS66 '13-D!" Sure enough! Good job John! You have a great set. Some excellently toned buffalo nickels. Your set Great pictures to look at, I hope to see them in person some day! smile.gif

Hoot