• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 Silver Eagle for $4.95

26 posts in this topic

I just found this deal at the slickdeals.net website, and thought I'd pass it along here. I called the number below, and my total time on the phone was 10 minutes. I said "No Thanks) about 18 times in reply to each time they said "Ok?" (trying to get me to sign up for an approval program or whatever) And that was it. I'll see a $4.95 charge on my credit card, and the coin is set to arrive here in 4 weeks or less. Seems like a good deal if you are willing to be on the phone for 10 minutes to get it, and you can keep yourself from saying yes or ok.

Info:

Coin Discovery Vault is running an ad in multiple newspapers offering a "free Silver American Eagle" for just S&H ($4.95.)

With the spot price of silver standing at $16.20, this isn't a bad deal.

The number to call is 1-800-251-1504

I do have to warn you, you will be put through SEVERAL hard sales, several times. Just keep saying no, you'll eventually get through them all.

You will get your coin in 4 weeks. They will need your credit card to charge to. This is a legitimate company, they seem to run this promotion every year. They are one of the HSN companies that sell coins.

I believe this is their website.

Good luck and enjoy your silver.

The $11.25 "gain" would hardly be worth the months of future aggravation one is likely to receive by being put on their contact list.

Thanks for the heads up. I called this company (or their predecessor, exact same routine) a couple of years ago. I said "No" a dozen times, got the coin, and never heard from them again.

$10 says that they hassle you for months, if not years, to come in the future. They offer that deal to put you on their mailing/calling list.

If you do get "THAT" call, here's a plan if you wish to use it.

Of course there is the National Do Not Call List that so many of us have heard about.

I know what you're thinking, the problem is that once you buy something from a company, you have an "established business relationship" with that company, and they have the right to call you.

Well, while that is not untrue, what is also true, is that the emergence of the National Do Not Call Registry did NOT undo the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991, it just expanded on it. :foryou:

The TCPA provides for a couple of requirements. Among other things, the TCPA says:

1. If a business calls you, they MUST maintain their OWN "Do Not Call" list.

2. If you ask them to be put on their "Do Not Call" list, the representative must KNOW how to do it, and the representative MUST do it.

3. The TCPA limits the hours during which you may be called (that is, if you are NOT on a "Do Not Call List").

4. Violations are enforced by the FCC (if you report it), so making note if companies you tell not to call you is helpful. I keep a log by the phone (with Caller ID, I note the phone number and make note of the person I spoke to with date and time). Reports can be made using an online form (or by fax or by mail), fines against some companies have ranged into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Read more about the act from the FCC (if you are curious) here:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/policy/telemarketing.html

And to file a complaint about violations of the TCPA:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html (online form links and toll-free fax number and address!)

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints_tcpa.html

NOTE: This is separate from how you can file complaints about violations of the NATIONAL DO NOT CALL LIST, which is maintained by the FTC (as opposed by the FCC for what I was describing above).

So, if it was a business with which you have no relationship, AND you're on the National Do Not Call List, file a complaint with the FTC online here:

https://www.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx'>https://www.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

or Sign-up for the Registry here: https://www.donotcall.gov/

I wouldn't careif they hassle me. I have Caller ID and an answering machine I just wouln't answer the phone.Thanks for the info but I wouldn't call.

You are going to spend $4.95. I fyou send this in under the Modern Tier with at least four other coins you are going to have to spend another $12.50 for grading. You are now up to $17.45.

How will this grade? Did they buy a lot of coins and send the best ones in for grading while keeping the worst fpr this promotion> If his is the case then it will grade lower than MS69.

Counting postage you can buy a 2008 Silver Eagle in MS9 on EBAY for $31.00. If your coin grades MS69 then one has saved about $13 - $14.If it shouldn't grade MS69 then what will you do with it? I suspect it is too early to try and sell a MS68 on EBAY etc.

If it turns out that the Coin grades MS69 which might be doubtful the what are the chances that they will sell your name and address to another Company?

Greetings! Hopefully a few of you also got in on the deal. I'll follow up here to let anyone know if I started getting any unwelcome sales pitches, or if anything strange shows up on my credit card statement. Probably the most that will happen is that I'll get some more offers to join coin approval programs in the mail. They can send whatever they want to the junk email address I gave them, and I let my answering machine answer everybody, so it's not much of a bother there.

At the very least, I feel that I've gotten a $15 coin for $5 and 10 minutes on the phone, and that's good enough for me. I'm not going to have it graded or anything. It would make a nice present for someone, or I could just hang onto it.

I did something similar for a non-coin related object. It did come in the mail, but till the day I moved out of my college apartment, my mailbox was stuffed to capacity with everything from a copy of the Mormon Bible to Ann Rand literature?

In the end it was not worth the hassle.

$10 says that they hassle you for months, if not years, to come in the future. They offer that deal to put you on their mailing/calling list.

If you do get "THAT" call, here's a plan if you wish to use it.

Of course there is the National Do Not Call List that so many of us have heard about.

I know what you're thinking, the problem is that once you buy something from a company, you have an "established business relationship" with that company, and they have the right to call you.

Well, while that is not untrue, what is also true, is that the emergence of the National Do Not Call Registry did NOT undo the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991, it just expanded on it. :foryou:

The TCPA provides for a couple of requirements. Among other things, the TCPA says:

1. If a business calls you, they MUST maintain their OWN "Do Not Call" list.

2. If you ask them to be put on their "Do Not Call" list, the representative must KNOW how to do it, and the representative MUST do it.

3. The TCPA limits the hours during which you may be called (that is, if you are NOT on a "Do Not Call List").

4. Violations are enforced by the FCC (if you report it), so making note if companies you tell not to call you is helpful. I keep a log by the phone (with Caller ID, I note the phone number and make note of the person I spoke to with date and time). Reports can be made using an online form (or by fax or by mail), fines against some companies have ranged into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Read more about the act from the FCC (if you are curious) here:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/policy/telemarketing.html

And to file a complaint about violations of the TCPA:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html (online form links and toll-free fax number and address!)

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints_tcpa.html

NOTE: This is separate from how you can file complaints about violations of the NATIONAL DO NOT CALL LIST, which is maintained by the FTC (as opposed by the FCC for what I was describing above).

So, if it was a business with which you have no relationship, AND you're on the National Do Not Call List, file a complaint with the FTC online here:

https://www.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx'>https://www.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

or Sign-up for the Registry here: https://www.donotcall.gov/

Very informative thank's (thumbs u

True but in my previous example it would depend on whether you planned to keep it in a Raw State and see it as Bullion etc. If I send it to NGC with 4 other coins on the Modern Tier then I am going to spend another $12.50 to get it graded. Now I am up to $ $17.45.

I now have a cost of $17.45 which is now more than the Melt Value. I suspect that thse people if they are associated with HSN are cherry picking the better ones and sending them in to a TPG for grading. The people that call in for the $4.95 Coin are now getting the worst of the batch.

You can buy a 2008 MS69 Silver Eagle NGC for $26.00. If it should grade MS69 then you have a profit of $8.55. If I am correct and it grades MS68 then one has to decide to try and sellt eh MS68 or crack it out and lose a few cents.

I have Caller Id and I get a lot of calls that say " Toll free number" and most are telemarketing.. Many of these people sell these names to other people who then bug you.

I have been a victim of Identity theft twice. The last time was here in Jacksonville last year. Some employee of a clearing house here in Jacksonville for Credit adn debit cards sold names and addresses to numerous other advertisers etc. When caught she claimed that there was no other sensitive info etc I noticed a charge on my Bank Account shortly after for Online Video Games. A woman I know were I shop at Publix had a charge for Online Music and she had never heard ot it. I had a $19;95 charge three didderent times within a few minutes of each other to the same outfit.

$4.95 and having to listen to a Sales Pitch and then possibly the chance that I would not only be on their List but others is not worth the hassle to me.

Took me less than 5 minutes. I simply notified the CSR that I was going to say 'no' to all of her offers. Its just an 'on approval' thing selling the same the HSN and QVC sell. She explained she understood what I wanted to do, yet it was her job/the rules to go through the spiel. Every time one aspect was done (and she speed read these, knowing I was saying 'no' to everything), I simply said 'Not interested, next'. Literally took less than 5 minutes, and I asked for a confirm #, was given one, and was told I will see my 2008 ASE within 4 weeks. I believe she said the card would show the charge to 'Homestead'. I would strongly suggest everyone take advantage of it. Its quick, painless, and by the time I get my ASE, hopefully silver will be upwards of $18.

In regard to them calling, emailing, etc....just a simple click of the mouse to 'unsubscribe', and even if it takes one call to 'take me off your list' (though I did this maybe two years ago with Universal Coin and Bullion, and got 'A Collectors Guide to Indian Head Quarter Eagles', 'A Numismatic History & Analysis: Type II Double Eagles', and 'Type Three Double Eagles 1877-1907', along with TWO ASE's, NGC slabbed), its well worth it. I never heard from UCB after that original call, and got all that stuff. I am a guy that loves saying NO to those people (like in '40 Year Old Virgin', he calls the woman for a date, gets scared, pretends he's a salesman...she asks if he is near the top of a tall building, JUMP OFF....). I know its their job, but they CANT make you say yes.....and trust me, they have heard NO more times than they care to think of. Its a no brainer in my mind.

Oh, anyone interested in 'A Collectors Guide to Indian Head Quarter Eagles', 'A Numismatic History & Analysis: Type II Double Eagles', and 'Type Three Double Eagles 1877-1907'????

edited to add: Chabsentia, my wife bought the 'Identity Lock', or something to that effect, with the million dollar guarantee...it aint real cheap, but in the long run, its WELL worth it...someone wants to use your name to buy something, it gets run through the company, they call you to verify, if you are home, and the guy who says he is you is at the place he wants to spend your money, he gets a visit from the local PD wondering how one person can be in two different places at the same time.

I think I have seen the ad on T.V. a few times on the "Idenity Lock". The owner drives around in a Van with his SSN on the side to show how safe it is.

I have been subject to Idenity theft two times. The second time I mentioned in a previous post.

The first time was about six years ago. I get a call on my answering machine to call the Bank which is a branch of my regular Branch. When I called back it was the Bank Manager.I won;t go unto the question that was asked to ascertain my Identity.

I had to really raise hell with my Bank as Banks do not like to release rthe various types of Information. There was a group of people that were going around different Banks and their Branches here in Florida from Kacksonville and South.

They had Payroll checks that had been Stolen from a Business two years previously made out in various names.In the case of my name they even had a Florida Drivers license with all the right marks such as Holograms etc.

The Drivers License was made out in my Name and correct address but had the picture of the Guy presenting the check. In my cases they went to three different branches on my Bank and presented a Payroll check in my name and had my Bank Account number.They hit each of the three Banks for $900.00. Two of thenm cashed the checks without question. The third one who called me had a Teller who was suspicious and took the Drivers license and asked the guy to wait as she checked something. She went to the Bank and called the Poice and when they gor there the guy had gone.. The Bank had to make the other $1800.00 good but it was an inconvience for me with ooutstanding checks one of which was to my Vehicle Insurance Company so I just couldn't cancel them etc.

There had to be lot of Inside People.

1. They had to get the Drivers License Blanks.

2. They had my Bank Account number which means they had to have someone inside the Bank or Post Office to get my account number and the amount I had in my account so as not to make the checks out and risk not enough Funds in the Bank.

3. ETC.

If people want to steal and they are willing to do it then they can think of all kinds of ways. It may be alright for others especially if one wanted to sell it for Melt Value etc but ot me it just isn't worth the Hassle.

I also have another situation. My wife does not speak good English.

Thought I would resurrect this thread. I spoke to them on the 3rd of Feb. Today, well, yesterday, Sat Feb 16th, I got my 2008 Silver Eagle in an air tite, inside a small plastic bag, mailed in a padded mailer, with absolutely NO advertising paraphernalia, business card, NOTHING inside the package except my '08 ASE. The tag onthe bag simply read:

P.O. #CB012

SKU #CBE08C

2008 Silver Eagle

2 weeks to get it, not too shabby, and with NO advertising material AT ALL, I think it was WELL worth making that call. Anyone else get there's yet? I am thinking of calling again, or having someone make a call for me. That really wasnt bad, folks. The coin itself, very clean, mark free...would make 69 easy. I wouldnt expect all of them to be this clean, but I was pleased with mine. For $4.95, and 5 minutes of 'just say no', it was well worth the end result!!

Lets hear from those of you that received your ASE, if you have yet....

Conder101...you are right...who cares what it grades....I wont even send this one in, just goes with my other raw silver...and for a 1oz ASE for $4.95, it COULD very well wind up in my junk silver box...doubt it, but you know what I mean..

Thanks for the heads up. I called this company (or their predecessor, exact same routine) a couple of years ago. I said "No" a dozen times, got the coin, and never heard from them again.
Yep. Done it several times, you never hear from them again afterwards.

You're welcome, folks! I got mine in the mail today as well.

Took a few minutes to look it over, and I can't see a single nick or scratch anywhere - appears to be flawless. Came in an acrylic coin surround.

My credit card only shows the $4.95 charge, just like they said. It might not be too late to get in on this - give them a call.

Ya know, just for shytes and giggles, I decided to call again (this was last week, maybe Friday the 15th) , and just go through the motions to see if I could get another one. Sure enough, even though they saw the name, address, etc, they charged me another $4.95. Sure enough, today I get my second one delivered. I am gonna call them every day till they tell me 'sorry, cant do it'. One would think that where they KNEW I had ordered one, that would be it. This could get very interesting...I will call them tomorrow and let you all know what they say. If they let this third one fly, I WILL call them once a day.....I will take ALL the 2008 ASE they want to sell me for $4.95!!! Too bad I cant just say 'How many you got'. Will let you know how this little experiment goes!! Gonna have my son and significant other call too...this could be quite a racket, and could really backfire on them. I see nothing wrong with repeatedly trying to take advantage of a deal that THEY are offering....

Well, this gets interesting as all get out. I have already gotten 2. I decided to call again tonite, instead of waiting till Monday. As those of you who have called know, they get all your info first (name, address, etc), then explain you are getting the '08 for the $4.95 shipping. After another round of 'no thanx', 'no thanx', and 'no thanx', processed my order, told me I would receive it in about 4 weeks (they really get them to you within a week or two...my first one came within 2 weeks I think, the second came in a week). End of phone call. Though I forgot to get my confirm #, so I called back to try to get it. The woman said she wouldnt be able to get it for me, so I asked her, 'Well, wanna sell me another one? You MAY be able to get me to buy something else'. Her reply was, 'sorry, only one per HOUSEHOLD. Thats funny, as my third order was placed today. And, as I said about the info they get before they begin their spiel....one would think that they would see that I have gotten them before this.

NOW, I will wait till I get my third one, then call back. Or, maybe I will try again tomorrow. This plot thickens....imagine getting a roll of 2008 ASE's for $100????? I think thats my goal, unless they just shut me down immediately next time. 15% of that tube is already full....we'll see how full I can get it.

Well, after getting 5 of these, I called again today, Wed, Mar 5th, and got a recording...."Unfortuntately, this promotion has ended". I guess I will just have to be happy with my 5 freebies. Anyone else get more than one?

Noone tried to take advantage of this more than once? I couldnt have been the only one...but I IZ a happy guy for for getting $105 worth of ASE's for $25. Barcodeontheback, I owe YOU a BIG thanx, so THANX!

Bruceswar....I am sure ALOT of people are bummed they didnt get in on the action, even for ONE of them at $4.95. Hell, now that silver is almost at $21 per they were giving them away...even when Barcodeontheback broke the offer, it was STILL a giveaway. I wonder if the fact one had to say 'NO' 4 times (the four useless things they wanted to sell you), or the worry of being bugged by calls pushed people away. Where I hit them 5 times, hell, they can call me once a month and hear me say 'NO' again, then hang up. I wondered just how long they could keep it up for. Now we know.

Barcodeontheback, do you know exactly when this promotion started? Hell, I could have done some damage if it started a few months ago...lol

This deal is still on - only the phone number has changed! I'm not sure when the deal started, but I believe it has been going on for at least 2, maybe 3 months now.

Call 1-800-701-9935

I called this today (this morning).

I'm guessing that they changed the number because the old number was posted to various "deal" websites, and they realized by changing the phone number, they could fool a lot of the folks on these websites into thinking the deal was over. At least for a while, this would increase their likelihood of selling the "add ons" to whoever is calling.

I saw today that one person on Fatwallet claimed to have ordered something like 18 of these, and received 6 already. If that is true, he will be getting about $288 worth of silver for $89. Of course, he put in about 180 minutes of his time in order to do so.

I'm not so sure 3 hours of listening to hard sells is worth $200. (it takes just under 10 minutes per call) Then again, that's like earning almost $67 an hour. What do you think?